R

Luna lurched upright, gasping for air and frantically looking around her. Her wild eyes took in the room, and she distantly realized she was in her bedroom. Then she was being held down by immovable hands, and a voice was speaking to her.

"Good morning. I'm glad you finally slept normally. Big brother told me to tell you you're safe, I'm safe, and so is Rin."

Her heart still pounding, Luna forced herself to take deep breaths. When the panic faded and she could speak, the first thing she asked about was the Impure King. The second was her school.

"It's done. The Impure King is dead, and the school is fine. Your students provided medical aid to the exorcists, and helped get them all to hospitals. The Vatican summoned you to an audience to grant you protection."

"Oh thank God." Luna fell back onto her sheets, Amaimon now leaning over her. She smiled at him. "It's done. We're safe. The school is safe. It's over."

Amaimon cocked his head. "Yes."

"How's Rin? And what time is it?"

"He's alive and back with True Cross. It is noon."

Luna sighed, her smile turning into an exhausted grin. "Then lay with me. I'm tired, and I can wait a few hours to deal with the world."

Amaimon unceremoniously flopped down beside her, immediately pulling her close against his chest. His arms wrapped around her middle, his face buried in her hair. He took a breath, just taking in the smell and feel of her. Amaimon realized he really liked having her against him, and he didn't intend to ever let her stop sleeping like that.

Her breathing evened, and Amaimon knew his human was asleep. He took another breath, his own eyes closing. It had been a long time since he truly rested. Perhaps he could take the time to do so then.

Hours later, when Amaimon allowed Luna out of the bed, she was standing in front of the entrance to the Vatican. Inside was the group of people who agreed to grant her school immunity, and she intended to hold them to their word. Her people would be protected.

She took a calming breath, then stepped inside. She was met by gorgeous, soaring ceilings of a massive inner chamber that branched off in several places. She ignored the branches, marching directly into the center of the main hall and stepping up to the podium.

"Ms....." the man trailed off. Luna rolled her eyes.

"It is pronounced Kahananui, but please call me Ms. K."

"Ms. K, then. We have promised to grant you immunity for your aid in defeating the Impure King."

A different voice this time. "Per the request of your... rather confident second, this award comes with no strings."

"Yes, indeed." The original voice again. "We have the contract written already, if you would like to read it."

"Yes, please." She replied respectfully.

A well dressed man walked to her side and presented her with an official looking sheet of paper. It was heavy, expensive stuff made for legal documents.

"We worked out the wording and details with your second, since you were indisposed at the time. She showed documentation of her ability to speak for you, under such circumstances."

"This is very direct, good counselors. It seems my second is in need of a raise." Luna remarked.

"She was most... ah, direct in her ideals and requirements. Definitely a fantastic negotiator." The counselor sounded both amused and irritated.

"You have my gratitude, counselors. I am in shock of the weight of this contract, and very happy to be the bearer of such a thing. I accept, and I'm proud to do so."

What felt like hours later, Luna was done signing things and meeting people in the Vatican. Joy had overflowed, and was now so bright in her that she couldn't contain the shout of accomplishment when she got to her office.

Luna went to work making announcements and emails for everyone in the school, telling them that the contract had been written and they were safe. For the first time ever, Luna and her people were safe from the Vatican. It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Luna felt light and happy, consumed with the brightness of the day.

She would go on to frame a copy of the contract and hang it in the front lobby of the school. The real one was hidden somewhere in her office, in a place only Luna would ever find.

Finally safe from the biggest threats to her life, Luna felt free. She could go to work and not look over her shoulder for a Vatican assassin. And she could go home to a certain demon king who liked to randomly teleport her places she'd never been. For the first time in her life, Luna no longer felt the urge to hide, thanks in part to Amaimon. And she never intended to let that feeling, or him, go.