05 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐗

'Dreamin' with my eyes open, hoping to see you someday.'

chapter five
the box

          Dreams.

Dreams are meaningless, yet so meaningful at the same time. Nothing makes sense, yet everything does make sense. It's unique.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" inquired a man with a scratchy voice seated in front of a woman.

"Of course, I am," scoffed the woman. "And if I won't, who else do they have? A fifteen-year-old girl who doesn't even know we exist?" she laughed bitterly.

The man just sighed heavily and asked, "Do you even know the risks of doing this?"

"I don't care about the risks, dammit!" the woman slammed her hands on the table a little hard.

The man just ignored her and continued, "You could die on the way, you could get splinched and what if you die in the war there?"

"Nothing will happen to me! And no stupid war is powerful enough to kill me!" exclaimed the woman.

"Oh God, Al! Are you even hearing yourself!" shouted the man, but cooled himself immediately and spoke calmly, "I am just trying to look after you. You must say no to this assignment."

"What!" she exclaimed loudly standing from her seat fiercely throwing it backward, "I have spent years working on it, and now you are saying 'say no to this assignment'. Absolutely not!"

"Do you want me to call her?" asked the man, who also stood up and glared at her, emphasizing heavily on the word 'her'.

A fickle of fear crossed her face momentarily, but she successfully hid it and scoffed, "Really? You will call her? And what will she say? Huh?" she laughed mockingly at him, "She will agree with me! She knows perfectly well that I am the only one who could do this."

"And why is that?" gritted the man annoyed.

"That is because I am the one meant to do this." she whispered, leaning forward.

The man just sighed and placed his hands on her shoulders, "Ok, I get that you won't change your mind. But just think about it and please take care of yourself." and hugged her.