25 | 𝐒𝐓. 𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐆𝐎𝐒

ʻDeath is the penalty we all pay for the privilege of life.ʼ

ʼ

chapter twenty five
st. mungos

Alicia was unaware of her surroundings when she woke up. Her head was bursting with pain and her vision was still hazy. She saw a clamour of blurred faces surrounding her before darkness enveloped her vision once again.

It was a painful next few hours in which she was half aware of what was going on with her. Herbs were applied to her neck, she was made to drink concoctions in that half aware state. She briefly remembered any of that and the panicked voices around her before everything fell utterly silent.

And then there was a voice inside her head and she froze.

‘What are you doing, Alicia? Is this what I have sent you for?’ The feminine voice hissed in her ear, a surge of anger in its tone.

Alicia blanched. How is this possible? This voice. . .?

Wake up, now and get back to work!’

The voice disappeared after that and the sound of murmuring reached her ears.

She was still unable to regain complete consciousness and slipped right back into the pool of darkness.

When finally she opened her eyes, it was nighttime around her and the unlit lamp hanging from the ceiling stared back at her.

She blinked, her mind slowly taking in the surroundings. White rooftop, unlit lamp, a vent.

She turned her head to the side. There were curtains around her. So, she was in a hospital.

She looked around, before her eyes fell onto a black dog sitting by the foot of her bed. She blinked at it in confusion.

The dog perked up on finding her staring at him and ducked under the bed.

Alicia tried to lean forward to look where it had gone.

“Hey, you’re awake.” A voice said from her other side, momentarily startling her.

Alicia turned her head to look at Sirius standing there.

“What happened?” She croaked out, just realising how dry her throat was.

“Have some water first.” Sirius said, filling up a glass of water from the bedside table and offering it to her.