Feeling

The celebration had lasted for hours. The whole group; Amelia, Damiano, Thomas, Ethan, Victoria and Lena had gone out to drink and sing at a bar which was nearby their hotel.

The band was already visibly drunk and happy, while Amelia was the quiet one, sitting in the corner of the table only with her deep thoughts and a glass of wine. She didn't know how to say goodbye to Damiano and the group, since she could not rejoin them in Italy. She wasn't ready yet and she had feared that if she catched more emotions, she wouldn't be able to let go anytime and she would be in pain. Although, truth was, she was already in love with this boy but couldn't admit it to herself.

Lena had noticed a drop in her emotional state and decided to give her a supportive hug without saying anything. Amelia had told her that she was going to the bathroom to wash her face and freshen up a bit and walked away from the table. She had immediately leaned on the wall of the bathroom and let out a sigh out of desperation. She had been standing there for maybe even 5 minutes and in the meantime noticed a lot of people going in and out, and had even recognized a few worried looks or glares from the passersbys. She had washed her face a bit and freshened up, re-applied some perfume on her skin just to get rid of the smell of cigarettes and walked back towards the table where her friends were having fun. She had stopped dead in her tracks a few meters from the table when she had seen something that had broken her heart into a million pieces.

Damiano was kissing Nina in front of everyone. With the corner of her eyes, she could see the shocked face of her best friend, who had looked as if she was ready to kill the other girl who was throwing herself onto Damiano, and the uncomfortable faces of the three members who had witnessed the inconvenience. Victoria had tried to walk up to Amelia, but had accidentally tripped on Nina's foot and almost fell down, which had gathered Damiano's attention. His face had changed when he had broken the kiss and saw Amelia standing there, tears filling her eyes.

"Amelia-", he had tried to say something to her, but didn't have the time since the girl had already fled onto the streets to call a taxi and go to the hotel.

Lena had quickly followed her, grabbing both of their jackets and her purse, leaving the group without a word. She was upset and disappointed with the situation, especially since none of their friends had even tried to separate this girl from Damiano, when they had known that Amelia and him had something. "Amelia... I'm so sorry that this happened. You didn't deserve this.", she hugged her.

"Go back inside, Lena, I'm fine.", Amelia had told her. "Don't let this situation ruin your night with Ethan. Who knows if you will ever see him again."

"No, fuck that! He didn't even say anything when he had seen them kissing.", Lena protested.

"Please, I need some time alone. The group will take you to the hotel, we're at the same one. Just don't let Damiano near my room.", she begged. She didn't want to be seen crying or suffocating in her own thoughts.

Lena had barely agreed with that decision." Fine. But please call me if you need me, I'll be right there. "

Amelia had nodded and entered the taxi who had just parked for her on the street.

As soon as she had reached the hotel, she let her tears fall down her cheeks and started losing breath. She couldn't control her sobbing and she ran into the room as quickly as possible, so the other guests could not watch her in that state. She had locked the door and thrown herself on top of the bed, crying even louder than before.

How could he do this to me?? With her??! I should have known that she wasn't just an old friend and that they are something more. On his last night here...

Her mind was running miles per hour. She couldn't contemplate the fact that he was only playing with her. He used her. He lied.

He could have at least waited to leave, she was in Rome as well... He had done it in the most brutal way possible. In front of everyone. I am humiliated!

Her mind was speaking for her. She was crying in the darkness of her room, locked in and alone. As she had turned on the side, she could feel a cold piece of fabric placed right beside her, and she had slowly grabbed it and hugged it firmly. She knew that it was wrong and that she should burn it, together with the memories of him, but had the need to smell the familiar perfume and the texture of the fabric.

Damiano's jacket.. The one he had given to her in Amsterdam, when they had to leave for Rome. The night when he had saved her life.

Maybe fourty-five minutes later, she was slowly calming down, but all of it had been ruined by the sudden sound of yelling and begging coming from the hallway. The sounds were undistinguished at first, but as they had gotten closer, Amelia could hear the conversation clearly.

"Damiano, please don't do it! She's not feeling okay right now!", she could hear Lena begging and realized that the girl was probably pulling him back from her door. "She doesn't want to see you!"

"Lasciami andare!", he was screaming in Italian although he knew Lena couldn't understand a word.

"Lasciami andare, voglio vederla!", let me go, I want to see her. The voice brought chills to her body again.

She had jumped out of the bed when she had heard loud knocking on her door and Damiano's voice calling her from the other side of the door. "Amelia! Amelia, I need to see you, please!"

Instead of walking towards the door, she has remained seated on the edge of her bed, covering her mouth to prevent her loud sobs from being heard. She didn't want to give him the pleasure of hearing her cry.

"Damiano, please behave. You're going to get us into trouble, please don't do this.", she could also hear Victoria 's voice, which had meant that he was not alone with Lena. "Let it go."

"You're drunk, you're making a mess, just go to your room!", Lena continued. "She doesn't want to see you."

Regardless of the begging and pleads, he had continued knocking on the door aggresively, making Amelia uncomfortable and even more hurt than before. "It was a mistake, Amelia, please let me explain, I'm begging!"

After five more minutes of the chaos in the hallway, hotel security came to get Damiano and escorted him in his room. It was finally quiet again. Another knock was coming from the door, and this time, it were gentle and slower ones rather than the aggressive ones.

"Baby, are you asleep?", she could hear Lena's voice. "Can you please open the door for me it's safe now?"

Amelia slowly walked up to the door. "Is he gone?", she could barely talk.

"He is, I promise. Victoria is with me here and we want to help you.", Lena confirmed.

Amelia had slowly opened the door and the girls had entered the room, their hearts sinking into their stomachs when they had seen Amelia's condition which was apparently heartbreaking, even in the dark. They have just hugged her and didn't speak much, since they knew that words wouldn't help in that situation.

She had been hurt by the person she had least expected it from. It was over. And she couldn't wait for him to just leave.