The scratching continued, growing more and more intense. "Hurry, Mum," Mr. Beaver warned. "They're after us!"

"Right then." Mrs. Beaver replied. "Esther, fetch me the -- Oh, you already have the jam."

"What is she doing?" Susan asked. "And Esther?"

Mrs. Beaver smiled softly. "Don't worry, you'll thank me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets cranky when he's hungry."

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver cried.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan wondered.

"Only if the Witch has toast," Peter answered sarcastically.

"Or if we're hungry," Esther added, with a light smirk earning a look from Peter and Susan. "What? I quite famished."

They made their way down a secret tunnel. "This should lead to my friend's," Mr. Beaver told them.

Mrs. Beaver frowned. "You told me it led to your mum's."

Esther heard scuffling and crashing. "We don't have time for an argument. They're gaining on us!"

Moments later, Lucy exclaimed, "They're in the tunnel!"

The tunnel led the group to a dead end. "You should've brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver yelled.

"There was no room next to the jam!" Mr. Beaver retorted, jumping from a hole.

With no map, they eventually made their way to the exit. Lucy fell on stone figures and Esther helped her up. Together, they investigated the stone figures. Mr. Beaver stepped closer to one of the figures. "He was my best mate."

"What happened here?" Peter wondered quietly.

"This is what happens to those who cross the Witch," a fox replied, stepping out from the shadows.

"Stand still there, traitor," Mr. Beaver ordered angrily.

As though sensing his gentle spirit, Esther stepped between the fox and Mr. Beaver. The fox gave her a nod of appreciation as he said, "Thank you, Highness. Relax. I'm one of the good guys."

Mr. Beaver frowned. "Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones."

"An unfortunate family resemblance, but we can discuss family breeding later. Right now, we need to move."

"What do you have in mind?" Peter wondered.

The fox told them to climb the tree behind them, so they did.

A pack of wolves soon appeared and stalked towards the fox. They began circling him and the fox took on a cocky tone of voice. "Greetings, gents. Did we lose something?"

One of the wolves growled in annoyance. "Don't patronise me. I know where your allegiance lies. We're looking for some humans."

The fox laughed. "Humans in Narnia? Now, that's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?"

"Where are they?!" the same wolf demanded, grabbing the fox's fur.

Lucy's quiet gasp was heard and Peter covered her mouth. Eventually, the fox gave in. "North. They ran north."

"Quickly," Maugrim said. "Smell them out."

As soon as the wolves left, the children and Beavers' climbed down from the tree. As soon as they reached the ground, Esther made her way to the fox and began patching the wolf up.

"Are you all right?" Lucy asked worriedly.

The fox let out a small chuckle, wincing as Esther patched up his wound. "Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite."

The fox's wound was bandaged and Mrs. Beaver gave the fox a look. "You're worse than Beaver on bath day."

"Worst day of the year," Mr. Beaver said with a shudder.

The fox bowed to Esther. "Thank you for your kindness, but I'm afraid I must be leaving."

"You're leaving?" Susan asked.

"It has been a pleasure, my Queen. I have been asked by Aslan himself to gather troops."

"You've seen Aslan!" Mr. Beaver yelled.

"What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver wondered.

The fox smiled. "Like everything we ever heard. You'll be glad to have him on your side in the battle against the witch."

Susan shook her head and frowned. Peter said, "We're not planning on fighting any witch."

The fox turned to Peter. "Surely King Peter..."

He was cut off. "We just want to get our brother, Esther's friend, back."

Their journey continued on and they happened upon a rock bridge. Mr. Beaver said, "Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table, just across the frozen river."

"River?" Susan asked in a worried tone.

Mrs. Beaver gave her a reassuring smile. "It's been frozen for over a hundred years."

"It seems so far," Peter commented.

"It's the world, dear. Did you expect it to be small?"

"Smaller," Susan muttered.

As they slowly trudged through the snow, Mr. Beaver turned to the children. "Come on, humans, while we're still young."

Peter frowned. "If he tells me to hurry up one more time, I'm going to turn him into a big fluffy hat."

Esther bit back a small laugh at his annoyance. Being told to hurry up made her want to go slower and her pace slowed a little.

Mr. Beaver continued, "Hurry up, Son of Adam. We don't have all day."

"He is getting kind of bossy," Lucy said as Peter lifted her onto his back.

They heard bells ringing. "It's her! Run!" Mr. Beaver yelled, darting off. He then called out to the children, "Quick! In here!"

They all dove under a giant rock and waited in silence. A few moments later, Esther said quietly, "She's gone. I think."

"I suppose I'll look," Peter decided.

Mr. Beaver shook his head. "No. You're no good to Narnia dead."

"Neither are you, Beaver," Mrs. Beaver said.

"Thanks, dear."

Mr. Beaver left to investigate the mysterious sleigh bells, leaving the others under the giant rock in a state of worry, confusion and fear.

A Million DreamsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara