Chapter 4: The First Meeting

~•~

"No, guys the woods too wet. We'll never make a fire." Gwendolyn coughed, waving the smoke out of her face.

"God, you tryna smoke us outta here?" Charlie asked.

Meeks pointed at a hole in the top, "No the smokes going right out this opening."

An agonized yell came from Pitts as he hit his head on the stone ceiling. A couple of the boys laughed loudly. Pitts came in holding his head.

"Are you alright?" Gwendolyn asked in between coughs.

"Arghh."

Alright, alright forget the fire! Good God!" Neil said once the smoke got to be too much. "Let's go people."

"It's like trying to light a swamp." Meeks grumbled.

"I herby reconvene the Dead Poets Society."

Everyone cheered.

"Welton chapter. The meetings will be conducted by myself and the other new initiates now present. I am to be the leader as decided by the group when Gwen Keating blatantly refused the spot even though she is the literal descendent a member of the Dead Poets Society. Why the hell would she do that? I will never know."

Gwendolyn raised her hands, "You found out the Dead Poets Society existed so it's only fair."

"Fair is fair I guess. Uh, Todd Anderson because he prefers not to read will keep minutes of the meetings. I will now read the traditional opening message by society member Henry David Thoreau. "I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately
I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life."

"I'll second that." Charlie butted in, claiming a few chuckles.

"To put to rout all that was not life, and not, when I come to die discovered that I had not lived." Neil finished. Knox whistled. "Keating's marked a bunch of other pages."

"All right! Intermission! Lay it deep, right here, on the ground!" Charlie called.

Knox sounded disgusted, "On the mud? We're gonna put our food on the mud?!"

"Meeks put your coat down. Picnic blanket"

"Oh yes, Meeks coat!" Meeks drawled sarcastically, spreading his coat in the mud. Boys began to drop various foods including Gwendolyn who put a small container of chocolate cake.

"Raisin's?" Meeks asked, lifting a brow.

"Yeah." Pitts said disappointed.

"Wait a minute! Who gave us half a roll?" Charlie said loudly, extremely annoyed.

"I'm eating the other half!" Pitts exclaimed. "What you want me to put it back?"

"I dibs Ribbon's cake over there. That looks delicious." Charlie said, loud enough for everyone to hear.

***

"It was a dark and rainy night...and this old lady who had a passion for jigsaw puzzles sat by herself in her house at her table to complete a new jigsaw puzzle." Gwendolyn sat straight, intrigued by Neil's scary story. Her head was tilted, her hair tilting along. "As she pieced the puzzle together, she realized to her astonishment that the image that was formed was her very own room, and the figure in the centre of the puzzle, as she completed it, was herself. With trembling hands, she placed the last four pieces and stared in horror at the face of a demented madman at the window. The last thing that this old lady ever heard was the sound of breaking glass."