Chapter 9: Returned Ribbon

A/N: Okay, I'm messing with the timeline, I'm SORRY but it's my story and I get to choose the timeline 😁

~•~

Even though light bouts of snow had began to settle on the grounds of Welton, Gwendolyn still felt the need to sit outside and immerse herself in nature's natural beauty. The trees had put on their crystal gowns and the lake had started to develop ice sheets, winter's feeble attempt to freeze it over. The winds had gone from crisp to chilled, leaving Gwendolyn's cheeks and lips chapped with cold. Gwendolyn had always despised her easily-chapped lips, but Todd never seemed to mind.

Often, Gwendolyn sat underneath her favourite maple tree, one she had picked earlier in the year. The one where she had thought about someone she'd lost and the one where she and Todd shared a blissful near-silence. Sometimes Gwendolyn would sit by herself, revelling in the quiet. Other times she would sit with Todd, the steady sound of his pen scratching against his notepad grounding her, along with the feathery, warm kisses he would give to her cheek or her forehead. Anywhere he could reach without it being heavily noticeable.

It was one of the days that Todd was with her. They had talked awhile about Gwendolyn's upcoming birthday which would be tomorrow.

December 15.

Gwendolyn used to enjoy her birthdays but lately they seemed lacking. It didn't feel the same without her. Todd didn't forget to leave out the tiny surprise party that the Dead Poets were cooking up. He had told Neil, who told the entire group. Everyone had loved the idea, except Cameron, who protested with numerous whines. Charlie had told him to "put a sock in it or you won't get any cake" and that seemed to shut him up, for the time being.

Todd then went back inside without her, remembering some unfinished bits of homework in urgent need of completion. He had left his coat with her, putting it around her shoulders. Gwendolyn had laid her own coat out on the ground, as to not get her skirt wet and Todd noticed her shivering at random intervals.

He had full trust she'd give it back and departed with a loving smile and another kiss on her lips, leaving Gwendolyn warm and deeply content.

It was three quarters past four, when Neil had rushed up to her and spoke in a louder than expected voice, "Hey, can I talk to you?" Gwendolyn's eyes snapped up from her book at the sound of distress in his voice. Something was amiss.

"What's wrong?" Gwendolyn closed her book and stood up, putting on Todd's coat and carrying hers. She tried to focus on Neil and not the intoxicating earthy scent of Todd's coat, a challenging feat.

"Can we walk? I feel like walking, especially today." He said, shoving his hands deep in his pockets.

"Sure," Gwendolyn nodded. She too felt the need to stretch her legs, "Around the lake?"

"Yeah." The pair began their trek round the lake.

"So what's eating you?" Gwendolyn asked and when Neil threw her a look she rolled her eyes, "Don't play dumb. Your face is all pinched up, and I would think the world was ending by the sound of your voice. Something is obviously not right."

"It's the play..." Neil said glumly.

"What about it? Are you nervous? Is that why you seem stressed?" Gwendolyn asked her array of questions while rolling up the lengthy sleeves of Todd's coat.

"No it's not that. It's my father." He said as tears pricked the edges of his eyes, "He...he found out about my part in the play and yesterday, he was sitting in my dorm when I came back from rehearsals. He was really angry and he told me to quit."