Two

My eyes flutter open and as I push myself up, leaning against the large silk pillows behind me, an overwhelming realisation starts to settle in and my heart feels like it sinks to the bottom of my stomach.

Today is the day of James Norrington's official promotion ceremony and adding on to that, it is also the day that he will officially propose to me.

I feel the silence in the house pounding, so I decide to step outside of my warm, comforting bed and walk across to my large vanity, one large mirror in the centre with various others surrounding it. Looking at my reflection, I see slightly tired eyes hiding behind my large curls, which are tightly secured in my hair with several rollers.

Knowing that today is going to be long and strenuous, I open the top drawer in my vanity and after pulling out several books, my eyes fall on the secret and subtle lid at the bottom. After I lift the small lid up, the golden glint of William's medallion catches both the glass of my vanity mirrors and my eyes. My fingers fall on the medallion and I run my fingers across the indentations, such as the carefully thought out details in the skull, as I start to recall the day William gifted it to me.

It was a gorgeous summers day and Father was abroad to discuss some important matters with Governor Swann, quite a handful of years ago, and whilst he was gone, Mother decided to visit some friends in a neighbouring village. I was more than capable in handling myself whilst both of them were away, so I decided to spend the day with William, as I knew he would really appreciate some time away from working on new weapons and tools.

I had been on the ship that rescued William from the raging ocean with my father, as was Elizabeth and Governor Swann. I was stood next to her at the stern of the boat, listening to her hushed singing of supposed pirate shanties, when I spotted a large plank of wood adrift in the water with a small boy lying on top. Elizabeth spotted him fairly soon afterwards and we both shouted aloud, warning the sailors aboard of the shipwrecked boy, who appeared to be unconscious.

After he was pulled aboard onto the vessel, I took it upon myself to check if he was alright and stable. The golden medallion attached around his neck was a stark contrast to the rest of his outfit, which seemed to be a fairly old shirt and some trousers, paired with no shoes on his feet. As my fingers reached for the medallion, so I could further study the details engraved on the front, he suddenly awoke and sharply grabbed my wrist. Whilst it took me by surprise, I gave him a kind smile and introduced myself to him, as I helped to sit him up. When I asked for his name, he simply replied with, "Will Turner."

When we returned to Port Royal, we were able to find him a stable home with Mr Brown in his blacksmith workshop, before he turned into a devoted alcoholic. Years passed and as William and I grew, so did our friendship, even though Father frequently started his distaste on the topic of an upper-class woman being seen around town with a working-class man.

Regardless, our friendship blossomed and on the seventh anniversary of the first time that we met, William took me up to the highest flower filled hill in Port Royal and presented me with his golden medallion. I went to question why he was gifting it to me, but in the end, I just accepted the generous offer and allowed him to attach it around my neck.

I've hidden it from Father, but occasionally, I like to put it on and hide it underneath my clothes. Just so I know that it is there, as it brings me a sense of comfort and I have a feeling deep down that I will need some comfort in me this day. As I attach the medallion around my neck and I glance up into my vanity mirror, I see the fear and worry in the back of my eyes, clear as crystal. I feel my heart start to swell and pump with nerves, but I instantly push the feelings away as I hear someone rapping their knuckles against my bedroom door.

"Olivia? Are you awake yet?" Father's voice rings out from the next room. I hurry to hide the medallion underneath my nightgown and I swiftly grab my dressing gown and pull it over my arms. I feel the cold metal hidden against my chest as my door opens swiftly to reveal not only Father, but two of our housemaids: Maria and Catherine, both of them carrying a large, long box wrapped in a green ribbon.

"Good morning, Father. Good morning, Maria. Good morning, Catherine," I greet them all individually, smiling as Maria and Catherine lower the box into my hands before they make their way over to the thick silk curtains, drawing them apart to reveal the beautiful summer sun shining over Port Royal. "Such a gorgeous morning," Father admires as he turns to me and motions to the gift box, "open it, it is a gift for you to wear today."

At his request, I walk behind my clothes divider and after removing the box lid, a gorgeous dress is revealed underneath.

White lace is sewn into the sleeves for the cuffs and into the top of the dress, which will wrap around the neck

White lace is sewn into the sleeves for the cuffs and into the top of the dress, which will wrap around the neck. Flowers of red and brown decorate the sleeves, corset and outward skirt of the dress, with the main skirt of the dress a beautiful cream colour. "Father, it's gorgeous," I marvel aloud as Maria and Catherine start to help me into the dress, the golden medallion briefly in the open before I tuck it underneath.

"I had it shipped over from London, it's supposed to be the latest fashion at the moment," Father adds just as Maria pulls back the strings of the corset, which cinches my waist and makes me draw a sharp breath in response, my chest getting tighter and tighter. The corset continues to be tightened until it becomes quite difficult to breathe, but I do not complain and simply let Maria and Catherine to continue to help me get ready.

They start to twist and contort my hair into a tight, low bun, with a few twisted hairs hanging in front of my face to frame it and they attach a feathery fascinator on top that matches my gown. To finish the outfit off, Catherine reaches into the box and retrieves a fan to finish off the ensemble, which she hands to me as both her and Maria give me a warm smile.

"There, you look beautiful."