The Tale of Samuel

He stared at the stars, the quiet sobs of Cameron could be heard as the youth patiently waited for him to start talking. The main character sighed, pouring himself another drink.

"You see, I moved in with Brian's family when my mom died," Samuel whispered, "It was at that age itself that I committed my first murder."

"So he's your stepbrother?", Cameron slurred.

"Not exactly. My mother and his father were siblings, he's my older cousin," Sam explained. "Since my family is generations of hitmen, you could say it runs in my blood,"

Gunshots. Muffled screams. Pleads. He remembered that day as clear as yesterday. And he didn't know how he should feel about it.

Sad? No, he deserved it.

Happy? He wasn't that much of a psychopath.

Or was he?

It was a sunny weekday and teenage Sam was skipping classes, as he normally did. He felt the drop of sweat drip from his head sliding down to his chin, as he sprinted away from the school premises, running away to prevent anyone from his academy to see him. He made a vow to his mother that he would be a good boy after she left for the other world, but,

"What's the use of keeping a promise to someone who's dead?", he kicked a rock, cursing under his breath. He loved his mother unconditionally but also hated her unwillingly.

It was a conflict in his heart. Sam adored her, as his birth giver, his guardian angel, and the only reason he was even on this earth.

But he couldn't accept that she was weaker than cancer. And most importantly, he hated the idea that she was his father's wife; a drug addict that slaughtered under orders to spend on pills and women. Sam was already scheming against him at the very moment his mother was admitted to the hospital, his mind filled with how he would end his old man's life.

"I'll get my revenge," at that time, Samuel didn't know that he would be able to achieve his desire, quite literally.

This same afternoon, Sam's uncle was called to his school when they found out he was shrinking classes, because of some students telling on him. Of course, the school was understanding about the mental health of a boy who lost one of his parents, who would not be emotionally stable to continue normally with his studies and went easy on him.

Absolutely not.

Sam left the establishment with two warnings and detention for two weeks. But luckily for him, it would be his last day at school as he would begin his career in assassination because of a slip of his tongue.

"What do you want to do, son?", Brian's father loved his nephew like his own son, and couldn't give a damn about him missing classes.

"What I want? I want to kill that man I once called a father," Sam would then realize that the, "Think before you speak.", expression was a line to always keep in mind.

He recollected how quickly the widened eyes and frown of his uncle turned upside down, the man smirking at the idea that he would be able to avenge his sister's past misery. "Well, then. We'll have to teach you some techniques."

The youth never thought that training would be this easy. Having his uncle as the leader of the West hitman organization, his mother as a former assassin, and his father as an active killer, there was no way he would end up a doctor.

From then, things happened rather quickly. At first, it surprised him how easily he took down his father without any remorse.

It happened after his mother's death, to which, her husband didn't even bother to attend.

And the sadness of her son wasn't present in his murderous mind.

On his first days of being a hitman, there were some times where rookie mistakes would be made, but building himself up from that, he managed to stand on the same level as the older hitmen at only 19.

Then years later, after his uncle's death, Brian took over the Monarch Tigers with Samuel as his "Pride", as they liked to call him in reference to a lion's clan.

Not too tragic, but it was those major events that helped build his character.

A character that could smile at you today only to kill you the next day.

The most dangerous façade.

"So that's it. I killed my biological dad and that was the debut of my hitman profession," the protagonist swigged his fifth drink, swaying a little as the breeze hit him.

Compared to how quietly Sam listened to the other man's story, Cameron had questions.

"But do you feel fulfilled?", the younger man inquired, his drunk state making him more inquisitive than he normally was.

Mr. Mind your business is pretty curious, isn't he?

"I wouldn't be able to continue this life if he was still breathing the same oxygen as I do," the older man admitted.

"So you murdered your father because you couldn't accept your mother's death?", Cameron continued with his unconscious questions.

Samuel blinked, "No. I killed him because of how he treated her in the past," he answered vaguely, not wanting to go into details.

"But are you over your mother's loss? Do you feel like she left this world confident that her son loved her? Did you show her-" Cameron stopped when he heard Samuel sniffle, tears slowly pouring out of his widened eyes as realization hit him.

"You're right. Not once did I hug her," he flinched, realizing his vulnerable appearance. He turned the other way, not wanting another man to see him in this state.

Who the fuck am I kidding?

I'm only human.

"Hey. Look at me," Cameron quietly spoke, but still got ignored by the man.

"Look at me dumbass," he ordered, turning Samuel's with both his hands on his cheeks, knowing that softness wouldn't work.

They both stared at each other, seeing their reflection into one another's eyes. Cameron furrowed his eyebrows, "Do you see what's coming out of your eyes?"

Samuel averted his gaze, making the other man grit his teeth.

"Sir, your eyes are pissing water," Cameron whispered yelled. "It's better to let it out."

In spite of being in tears, Samuel cracked a smile, making Cameron grin. The younger man turned slowly to look at the stars, "I know I already told you that I despise alcohol, but I feel like drinking today," he turned, holding his glass up, "Mind joining me?"

You are already drunk though.

"I see no reason why I should refuse," Sam managed to compose himself a bit, pouring a drink for the both of them.

"Come to think of it, I never received a hug from her," he heard Vixen whisper.

The killers' night ended with both of them yearning for a mother's touch.

...

Some people just deserve death.

-Shitty quote by your Narrator