Leaf

Although several days had passed since San Lang left, part of Xie Lian still hoped that he would just walk through the door like nothing had happened, as if he’d just been on a long walk in the woods and had lost his way. Xie Lian knew that this was a foolish wish, but he couldn’t help it. With San Lang gone, it felt like a part of him was missing. Something vital inside of him that could never be replaced, something that he hadn’t realized how much he needed.

With a sigh, Xie Lian tied back his sleeves to start doing the washing. It was better to keep himself busy rather than dwell on his own thoughts for too long. He hauled snow inside in buckets and melted it over the fire before pouring it into his wooden bathtub. In warmer months, he would wash his clothes in the river, but right now that was impossible.

San Lang was gone now, but how were things any different from when he was living all alone before? Although Xie Lian kept telling himself this, in his heart he knew that everything had changed. He had tasted the sweetness and warmth of companionship and domestic life with somebody that he deeply cared about, and now returning to his old life tasted bitter and cold.

Xie Lian put his laundry in the warm water to soak, and his eyes drifted over to San Lang’s red cloak laying on his bed. He walked over to it and held it up to the light streaming in from the window, and was relieved to see that it appeared spotless. He didn’t want to wash it. Although it was a little embarrassing, when he closed his eyes and held the fabric to his face, it smelled like San Lang and he could almost pretend like he was there with him.

Lurking in the murky depths of Xie Lian’s thoughts was the worry that the scent would fade away, that he’d forget what San Lang smelled like, and then… he’d forget what San Lang looked like, too. That his memories of him would dissipate like a drop of ink in a pool of water.

Xie Lian carefully folded the cloak again and set it next to his pillow. His hand lingered on it for a moment before he stood again and returned to his washing, and he was preparing to start scrubbing the clothes when he suddenly heard a knock at the door. His startlement quickly turned into excitement. Was it San Lang? Had he returned? He rushed to the door and threw it open, cheeks flushed.

“San-” he called, but stopped short. Instead of the swaggering man in red that he’d expected to see, there was a hunched-over, elderly man standing there. Xie Lian hid his shock. What was this man doing so far out into the woods, especially when the snow was so deep? He’d passed over Xie Lian’s mushroom ring of protection (which was now buried in the snow), so he was probably human. Xie Lian was starting to think about finding some stronger protection methods for his cottage. Because the mushroom ring could be overpowered with strong magic and was ineffective against humans, he had been dealing with a lot of unexpected guests as of late. (Which was just his luck.)

“How may I help you?” Xie Lian asked politely, despite his confusion. The man’s sagging face was heavily lined, and the bedraggled topknot on his head was white and thin. He said nothing, only blankly stared ahead like he was looking right through Xie Lian. Was he deaf? Blind? Xie Lian tried again. “I’m sorry, sir, is there something that I can do for you?”

The man didn’t make any indication that he had heard Xie Lian’s words, and Xie Lian didn’t know whether he should laugh or cry. He couldn’t just leave this old man out in the cold! His eyes searched the landscape to see if perhaps there was someone out there searching for their senile grandfather, but the forest was still and quiet. There was a white sky above, and below that the snow was pristine, aside from the old man’s footprint trail that Xie Lian could see coming from the forest, stretching out beyond his view.

Xie Lian supposed that he didn’t have much of a choice but to let the man in and try his best to figure out what was going on. He remained cautious, and the weight of San Lang’s dagger at his hip was comforting. “Please, come inside.” he said.