Chapter 5

What was I even thinking? Of course he’s not my mate. The idiot was already flirting around with any female werewolf in sight.

I sighed as I walked with Sunshine onto the Hunting grounds. It was the evening and the sun was slowly setting. As soon as the sun disappears below the horizon, the Hunting will begin. When the time came for Sunshine and me to leave, Trey was immediately at my bedroom door, taking Willow away to who knows where. But it was obvious it was just going to be the two of them together.

Looks like she won’t be able to help distract Dominic after all.

“Dummy.” I said under my breath, but Sunshine heard me.

“Hey, he’s just doing his natural thing. Can you blame him?”

I gave her a flat stare. “You just said he was my mate.”

“So?” she said with raised eyebrow.

I was about to retort, but Karen suddenly came up to the two of us. My lips immediately sealed close and I smiled at Karen. “Hi Karen.”

“Hello.” She smiled back and then turned to Sunshine. “Sunshine. Long time no see.”

“Hey Karen.” Sunny grinned back. “You know what, there’s something I have to ask you.” And she took Karen by the shoulders and guided her away.

“Sunny!” I shouted in a warning tone, but she turned back to me and winked.

“Don’t worry honey Bunny!” she shouted back before the two of them went to a more private place to talk.

And I was left standing alone.

Immediately, I began to get nervous. I wasn’t as nervous at the moment because I was surrounded by the Crescent Moon Pack. The process was that all the packs will start at where they mainly camped and once the sun sets and moon appears, and then they’ll run in whichever direction their instincts tell them to go.

I know I was supposed to be on my own so I could go and hunt for my mate, but the thought suddenly had me fidgeting in place. After all, I wasn’t a very bold person, so I couldn’t go around, flirting with any guy who interested me. I was too shy for that.

But then…what am I supposed to do?

“What are you doing Bunny?” Dominic suddenly said and I turned around to see that he was standing very close to me, wearing a simple dark green t-shirt and black pants. Even though he was dressed casually, he still looked too handsome.

When my eyes laid on him, my heart immediately picked up its pace, but I forced it to calm down, like I always did. “Dummy.” I said in a normal tone. “I’m doing nothing, as you can see. I’m just waiting for the moon to come out.”

Dominic looked me up and down, his eyes slowly creeping. I resisted the urge to shiver and run away from his gaze. “What happened to the dresses?”

I looked down at myself. Sunshine had suggested this outfit for me to wear instead of the dresses. Since I wanted something not too fancy but also not too casual, and Willow suggested shorts, Sunshine went on ahead with the choices. In the end, I wore a silky, baggy shirt that revealed my shoulders and I tucked the bottom into some simple jean shorts.

“I decided not to ruin any nice dresses I had.” I shrugged and looked up at him.

And stopped breathing. He was smiling with gentle and tender lips, but his eyes told a different story. They were glowing and burning with something hot. At the moment, they were looking at my bare shoulders and sliding across the tops from one to the other.