Bridgette's Diary

(3:33AM) May 31, 2021

Dear Diary,

I've never been in a relationship before (romantically, of course). I'll admit I always wanted to know about what it's like to hold someone's hand knowing that they like me. Someone who looks past my flaws and admires the better in me. Someone who I can talk to openly without holding anything in. Someone who I can truly be myself around. And then I found him.

Even when I didn't tell my best friend, Irene, that I was crushing on her older brother, she secretly knew. I vividly remember it raining that day. I usually take the public transit home from work (I haven't gotten my driver's licence yet) but there was a bus cancellation due to a transit commission strike happening today. Irene was supposed to pick me up but she ended up stuck at work.

I grabbed my umbrella outta my bag and walked out of the building. I planned on walking home but then he pulled up in his car. Irene must have asked him to pick me up. "Bridgette!" he shouted over the rain "get in!"

My mind debated whether to hop in the passenger or back seat. I grabbed the passenger door.

"Thanks for picking me up Jonathan. How did you know I needed a ride? Did Irene tell you..."

"I was on my way to grab coffee and then Irene texted me."

Then he drove us to Tim Hortons. He offered to wait in line while I searched for an empty table.

"What do you want?"

"I'll get whatever you get."

I handed over the amount to pay for my drink but he insisted on paying.

"I got us cold brew," he said as he sat across from me. "Irene told me."

My heart started racing. "What did she tell you?"

"She told me how much you wanted to try the new cold brew drink."

"That's right," I stuttered.

I could sense that he wanted to say something but he was holding back. But then he said it.

"Sometimes at night, I lay in bed and think of you. The last thought I had before I fell asleep last night was you." He paused. "Then I dreamt of taking you on a coffee date."

"What a coincidence, I dreamt of you too," I confessed.

"Is that so?"

Then he said the unexpected.

"I'm going to London tomorrow for a business trip."

The next day, we went to the airport together. He squeezed my hand three times in the back of the taxi.

Thirty minutes later, Jonathan paid the cab driver.

"I'll be back in exactly a week," he assured me.

Before I could say anything, he leaned in and interrupted me. His lips touched mine as he wrapped his hand around my waist. I intrinsically placed my hands around his neck.

We waved goodbye as he disappeared in the crowd.

Needless to say, I'm still with Jonathan to this day. Happy 3 year anniversary, Jonathan!

- Bridgette