Part Forty Four

It had been two days since Omkara had left to Germany, and everyone around Gauri could clearly see how gloomy she had become, even though she tried her best not to let anyone know. However, her parents could see how their once-chirpy daughter preferred to spend time alone in her room in silence. Even this evening, as she came back from work, she simply smiled and greeted her Papa with a kiss on his cheek, her Mamma with a hug, and let them know that she was going to her room. "But what time are Rudra and Annika coming over?" Shalini asked, and Gauri said they were yet to let her know.

Earlier, Rudra had been informed by Omkara when he'd called him up, that Gauri sounded upset. "Don't worry, O, I'll visit Bhabhi and cheer her up!" he'd said. When Omkara had told him that she was staying over at the Sharma Residence, Rudra quipped if he could take Annika along. "She could use a change of environment also," he'd said in a sombre tone, referring to how none of the elders in the house spoke to Annika like before. Omkara had told him to seek Gauri's parent's permission for the same, and Shalini-Arvind were more than happy to have them over since Gauri's mood also would improve.

***

"Mamma, please, galti se bhi, don't ask Bhabhi anything about babies, okay?" Gauri warned, and Shalini frowned saying, "Why would I ask such a thing?" Gauri shook her head knowing that her mother could be a little inquisitive at times. She hadn't told her anything in detail about Annika's condition, yet. "Main bas bol rahi thi, Mamma," Gauri said, not wanting to argue. Shalini grumbled to herself, "Haan, ab bachche itne bade ho gaye ke apne maa-baap ko sikhane lage ke kya bolne chahiye aur kya nahi!" Gauri looked at her Papa who blinked his eyes in assurance, as if asking her to forget what her mother was grumbling. Gauri's phone beeped as she received a message from Rudra, "Reaching in 2 mins" Gauri conveyed the same to her parents and then got up to go outside to greet them.

"Rudra, mujhe bada ajeeb lag raha hai," Annika said as Rudra drove into the lane to Gauri's place. "Ajeeb? Kyu?" he asked with a frown to which she replied, "We're going to Gauri's parents' house, that too after inviting ourselves! Achcha dikhta hai kya aise bina bulaye jaana?" Rudra clicked his tongue as he said with a grin, "We're going to meet Gauri Bhabhi. I asked her if I can bring you along, and she said yes. Also, Bhabhi's parents are super-cute and super-cool! You met them at the wedding, right? You'll get to talk to them also today. Kuch ajeeb-vajeeb nahi lagega; aap chalo." Annika nodded, although not completely convinced.

***

"Bhabhi!" Gauri exclaimed and hugged Annika at the door, who hugged her back. "Haan, everyone forgets me conveniently. Mujhe koi pyaar nahi karta!" Rudra said from behind. Shalini smiled as she said with a grin, "Badmaash, tu idhar aaja!" Shalini hugged the boy who then walked straight into the living room like he owned the place, not before asking her what was there for snacks.

"Hello Aunty," Annika said politely, bending down to touch her feet, but before that Shalini pulled her into an affectionate hug. She then greeted Arvind, who did not allow her to touch his feet but did place a hand on her head, blessing her with a warm smile. "Come on in quickly so I can close the door. There are too many mosquitoes coming into the house," Shalini said, calling them in.

***

A while later, Annika was comfortable in the Sharma House. Sitting next to Gauri and her father in the living room, the three of them were playing cards. "Papa! Not fair!" Gauri whined when Arvind showed his cards, winning the game, yet again. Annika also dejectedly placed her cards on the table, and Arvind chuckled before he stuck his tongue out at his daughter and poked fun at her. In turn, Gauri mimicked him and playfully mocked back at him.

Annika sighed as she witnessed the father-daughter engage in playful banter, wishing she too had a family life like this. There was not a single memory because she had been left at the gate of the orphanage as an infant. Annika grew up with the nuns, never knowing what a father's love could feel like. True that the nuns were loving and kind to her, and she had other companions in the orphanage to share the love with, but parental love was something she always craved for, wishing she knew what it felt like to be loved by a father, to be pampered by a mother.