Chapter 9

"Froststar?" Rainpaw asked hesitantly, she could smell RiverClan scent along the border as they were setting the border markers.

"Yes Rainpaw?" Froststar turned around, then froze, "do you smell that? RiverClan!" Froststar hissed.

"That's what I was about to tell you!" Rainpaw told Froststar. Is RiverClan invading?

"Come with me, and stay quiet," Froststar warned Rainpaw, and they slithered into a tree trunk beside The Stream where they had scented RiverClan. I hope they don't attack us!

"It's okay Rainpaw, they're just leaving their scent like us. Let's go back to camp now." Froststar's fur smoothed again, and padded back to the camp.

"Okay," Rainpaw followed her mentor slowly, still worried about RiverClan. Is it really okay? Because I think RiverClan is going to cause some trouble.

***

"Firefeather! Firefeather!" Sparrowtail's hunting patrol with Goldenfeather, Dewpelt, and Petalfall came rushing in, calling the deputy's name frantically.

"What's happened?" Firefeather rushed out of the warrior's den, panic showing through her gaze.

"It's RiverClan!" Sparrowtail growled.

"They've crossed our border and hunted on our territory!" Goldenfeather reported, rushing.

Dewpelt kneaded the ground, "let's deal with them right away!"

"I'll go report to Froststar now."Firefeather rushed into Froststar's den. Is there going to be a battle? I knew something was going on! Rainpaw panicked, she only knew so much!

"Hey Rainpaw! I hope RiverClan is going to get beaten!" Featherpaw bounded up to Rainpaw and with sheathed claws, swiped the air.

"Well, Froststar hasn't decided yet." Rainpaw reminded her sister.

"Even if she does, Featherpaw, you will not be allowed to go unless Froststar orders you to." Flowerpetal came to a stop where the two sisters were. At that, Featherpaw's tail drooped.

"That's not fair! I don't get to do anything!" Featherpaw argued helplessly.

"Who told you to scare off your prey and mess around while hunting!" Flowerpetal told Featherpaw sternly. I hope we don't need that many warriors! It's dangerous. Rainpaw shuddered at the thought.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highrock for a Clan meeting!" Froststar jumped onto the Highrock swiftly.

"Meeting!" Willowpaw hurried forward as Rainpaw followed behind.

"What is it about Rainpaw?" Willowpaw asked.

"I dunno, probably about the RiverClan scent thing." Rainpaw whispered to Willowpaw.

"Ooh, a battle! I hope there is one! I learned so much with Fernshadow!" Willowpaw bounced around excitedly. Then blushed suddenly. "And Leafshade," She lowered her voice, looking at the warrior.

"That's great! I see you've got an eye on him." Rainpaw teased. Why don't I feel ready even when Willowpaw is ready then?

"Well, uh, he's nice, you know, friendly?" Willowpaw stammered.

Rainpaw purred, "I know, I've got an eye on Bramblepaw mind you, he's nice too!"

"I'll get in a good word for you!" Willowpaw's eyes sparkled.

"Yeah, thanks." Rainpaw purred, but Froststar's mew broke her off.

"Today! Sparrowtail's patrol has found scents that RiverClan has hunted on our side of the border!" Froststar announced, flicking her gaze to everyone.