Chapter 22

"Dawnstar! Dawnstar!" Rainfur hurried towards the leaders den, panting. "They're here again!" Again. Rainfur sighed. I really don't want to put up with them, again.

"Who? Where? Show me! Quick!" Dawnstar's panicked mew came as she shot out of her den.

"RiverClan." Rainfur heaved out the word with a massive effort. Again. The word kept looping inside her mind.

"Dewpelt! Battle patrol! Now! I'll go as well, we need the Stream. It's ours!" Dawnstar ordered, as several cats yowled in rage towards RiverClan. A battle we're going to win. Rainfur promised herself, Brambleheart! Rainfur suddenly realized, I should go warn him right away! Rainfur ran into the warriors den, her paws feeling heavy. Why am I so tired and frustrated today?

"Brambleheart?" Rainfur called, her claws tapping impatiently on the ground.

"Yes?" Brambleheart poked his head out, "what is it?"

"RiverClan!"Rainfur blurted.

"What?" Brambleheart looked taken aback by the sudden realization of attack, then looked more serious, "have I been called?" He asked Rainfur. He's so sensible. Rainfur stared at him dreamily. What am I thinking? What's wrong with me?

"Rainfur?" Brambleheart looked at Rainfur anxiously.

"Oh! Uh, no, I don't think so." Rainfur rushed out the words.

"Okay." Brambleheart's tail twitched to and fro. Then, he turned around and stared at my belly.

"What?" Rainfur asked, concerned. Do I have something on my belly? She shook her head, clearing her thoughts. No way! I must be fish-brained to think that.

"Have you been taking extra prey from the fresh-kill pile these days? You're looking plump Rainfur." Brambleheart joked, but looked awkward as he spoke. What? Rainfur stared at him, her jaws gaped open in surprise.

"Wha-what?" She took a step back, even though Rainfur knew he was joking, pain stabbed her heart. Have I really been taking more prey? I hope not! Wait... Rainfur's mind whirled in confusion.

"Rainfur! I was just joking, you know, but you really do look a little more plump." Brambleheart soothed her, seeing the hurt look on her face.

"I don-I really-I don't think-am I-really more plump?" Rainfur forced the words out, gritting her teeth. But I can't have become more... fat! Unless... Rainfur shook her head, confusion welling up inside her again.

"Only a little." Brambleheart told her. A little? What? But I... I can't have... have... but there is no way! Rainfur started to panic, pacing around.

"Okay, let's go see if the battle patrol is back then!" Rainfur tried to keep her voice calm, changing the subject quickly, and turned and ran to the direction of the camp entrance. So how are they doing, I didn't make that excuse for nothing. Rainfur sighed, glancing over the bushes.

"Rainfur! Wait!" Brambleheart's voice sounded behind her. She turned around and saw Brambleheart panting, trying to catch up.

"Well, go faster furball!" Rainfur purred, looking jokingly at him. A good furball though! Rainfur thought, smirking.

"Well, who told you to be such a quick one!" Brambleheart shot back, looking at Rainfur innocently after doing that.

"You're such a daft furball!" Rainfur batted at him with her fore paws, feeling like kits again. It feels so good to be with Brambleheart which means... Am I... Wait what am I thinking exactly... I shouldn't... The words in her mind was stuck in her mind, she couldn't think of it, I can't, I mustn't! I have to be... Deputy. Or do I? Rainfur suddenly remembered the prophecy.

You will be the greatest, you will love a cat who you will need to ignore until you are. Don't let him disturb you! The prophecy rang once again in her ears, making Rainfur's ear hurt, and her mind was twirling again, feeling dizzy.

"Rainfur!" A heartbeat later, Brambleheart was there, over her body, what? I didn't realize I fell! How embarrassing! I don't usually fall! Rainfur's cheeks turned hot as she stood up as soon as she could, wobbling.

"Stop! You just fainted!" Brambleheart's concerned mew forestalled her. What? But I didn't! Rainfur wanted to protest at him, but his warning gaze stopped her.

Rainfur sighed, feeling tired but restless as well, "okay." She closed her eyes.

"Amberfur! Cloudheart! Come...fainted... she's tired... quick!" Brambleheart's voice seemed to have come from far away, but why? He's right beside me! Rainfur was confused and worried, will I still become a warrior anymore now? Or even deputy? Rainfur shook her head to herself, oh for StarClan's sake I'm getting too ambitious, I have to stop thinking like that. Rainfur scolded herself.

Before Rainfur could stop thinking, paws began to work on her, she opened her eyes to see Amberfur checking over Rainfur, she looked concerned, but stayed calm as she asked, "does anywhere hurt badly particularly?"

"No, just my... my belly." Rainfur winced as a pain rippled through her belly. Why? But why? Rainfur wondered so badly.

"I'll check on you, don't worry." Amberfur reassured her. Okay I guess, I think I need some sleep anyways. Rainfur grunted, looking at her friend as she left the den, "Brambleheart! I want you to stay with Rainfur, or go get some prey and moss for her! She might need it!"

"Okay I will!" Brambleheart replied, Rainfur heard him scurrying off into the distance. She sighed, feeling hopeless of sleep, but still flipped over and curled up, resting her muzzle on the soft moss, trying to fall asleep. Oh StarClan I hope I do! Rainfur prayed,

***

"Rainfur! Wake up! I've got you prey and moss!" A paw shook Rainfur's side, waking her up instantly.

"What is it? Is there an attack?" Rainfur shot up, her fur bushing up, then realized it was only her mate, Brambleheart in front of her, and sighed in relief.

"No, it's just me." Brambleheart looked amused, starting to lick Rainfur's fur. It feels so good to be treated like this... Rainfur closed her eyes again, relishing the soothing licks of her mate.

"Here, eat some prey." Brambleheart nudged Rainfur, pushing a thrush beneath her paws.

Rainfur didn't need telling, she munched into the thrush, crunching through the bones and finished it, her belly feeling satisfied at last.

These few days, Rainfur had been hungry all the time for no reason, she was always hungry and every time she patrolled, she was tired. Why? Oh StarClan tell me what's wrong! Rainfur begged silently.

***

"Rainfur! Amberfur's back!" Brambleheart whispered to Rainfur. I knew that. Rainfur shot him a look. He nodded, and backed away.

"Hold on there, I'm going to check on you." Amberfur's soothing voice calmed Rainfur. She shifted a little, feeling nervous. What's wrong with me? She wanted to scream.

"Amberfur? What's wrong with me?" Rainfur finally asked. Amberfur didn't reply, but kept on checking.

After a while, Amberfur called Rainfur's name, "Rainfur! Rainfur!" Her eyes were unusually serious, though her voice was fine. Rainfur was worried, did I catch a sickness? Oh StarClan no! Rainfur panicked.

But behind the seriousness of Amberfur's gaze, there was excitement and happiness, Rainfur was relieved to see that, and asked, "What is it?"

"Oh Rainfur, you..."