32: Love it or love him?

Jian Qiao was touched by Cassia's farewell smile.

Although this woman was greedy, she also had a pure side. Her smile was as sweet as a child's.

The carriage had gone far away, but Jian Qiao continued to gaze in that direction.

Rege blocked his view with one hand and asked sourly, "What, are you smitten with her, too?"

"No, I just think she has a beautiful smile," Jian Qiao said truthfully.

Rege's face turned black.

Jian Qiao immediately added, "But in my eyes, your smile is by far the best. Every time you laugh, I feel rays of sunlight beaming on my head, and there's a warm feeling all over my body. That's why I love to see you smile. I'd give anything to make you happy."

Rege: "..."

If he hadn't been toughened on the battlefield, his sullen face would have turned red in an instant.

The gentleman Earl was really something! Not even bees could compete with him. He produced sweet honey all on his own, he didn't even need to search for flowers.

Rege rubbed his burning ears and licked his pointed tiger teeth, then said in a muted voice, "I also love to see you smile. I too would give anything to make you happy."

At the time, Jian Qiao wasn't conscious of how much enthusiasm these words contained. But he was already very content, so his eyes shone brightly. "When I'm with you, that's when I'm happiest."

Not a word of this was false.

After two lifetimes, Jian Qiao had only opened his heart to a single friend, and that was Rege. Since then, the feelings of loneliness and loss seemed to have slowly drifted away.

"I wrote you two letters. After you get in the carriage, open them in order, don't mess up." Jian Qiao handed over the two envelopes.

"What's this?" Rege raised his eyebrows.

Jian Qiao put up a slender index finger against his pale lips. This meant not to ask more questions.

"You're always so mysterious," Rege grumbled, then took the gentleman Earl into his arms. He said in a low voice, "Then goodbye, my friend. I'm hosting a banquet tomorrow, can you come?"

"Of course, I'll definitely be there." Everything Jian Qiao planned to do was already finished, and in a little while he'd return to Desolette. Therefore he wanted to seize every moment to spend time with his good friend.

Amazing, a person like him actually had a friend.

Jian Qiao gently nudged his chin against Rege's shoulder, not knowing whether he sighed in satisfaction or dismay.

Rege's calm heart mysteriously stung a little because of this sigh. He could feel how the gentleman Earl always hid himself in a thick fog, and never really came out.

"Don't sigh, my dear. When I hear you sigh my chest feels tight," Rege said in a pleading tone, lightly stroking Jian Qiao's soft hair.

"All right, I won't sigh again," Jian Qiao immediately agreed.

Negative emotions are much more contagious than positive ones. He should have thought of that long ago. Rege channeled a steady stream of positive energy to him, and he should respond more positively as well.

"I'm sorry to make you feel uneasy, I didn't mean to. I'm just reluctant to part with you. Every time I can't bear to let you go." Jian Qiao described his feelings without any concealment.

Rege chuckled in a low voice. The tremor in his chest and the sudden rise in his body temperature were simultaneously transmitted to Jian Qiao, dispelling the haze in his eyes.