37: Love is destruction

"In the snowy mountains,

Down the misty vale,

A child picked a flower

A-growing in the dale;

"White petals, green leaves,

Pure as winter snow;

Where the child journeyed,

The Lorres elves know.

"Crystal wings to let him fly,

A gift from the fay;

Fly to heaven, fly up high,

Fly far away...."

Rege lowered his voice, slowly singing a nursery rhyme close to Jian Qiao's ear.

As he sang, he gently rocked Jian Qiao's body and patted his back like a father coaxing his child to sleep.

He knew Jian Qiao needed calm.

Jian Qiao had never been treated like this. He was an illegitimate child, and his very existence was shameful, scorned, and cursed. He'd never been embraced by his father, his mother, or any of his relatives.

If it ever happened, it was so long ago he didn't remember.

But at this moment, he was being held, patted, and coaxed by Rege like a little child, completely protected and safe.

The fears that haunted his heart were gone.

"You truly are the light that shines on me in the dark." He lifted his head to gaze up at Rege, his eyes smiling.

Seeing him relax, Rege also smiled.

"It's better now, isn't it?" he asked in a soft voice.

Several of his knights stole glances at him with shocked eyes. Oh God! They actually heard Lord Rege singing a nursery rhyme... so terrifying!

"It's much better. Are the clothes ready? We'll change when they're dry." Jian Qiao noticed the knights' sidelong looks, so he quickly took up his cloak and put it on, then squirmed out of Rege's warm embrace.

Rege let out a muffled grunt and his eyes became dull. When he lost the person in his arms, his heart felt empty for a moment.

It was getting late, and several knights went into the woods to catch some prey for Jian Qiao, packing them in burlap sacks so as not to reveal any blood.

When bugle sounded, everyone met at the rendezvous point as scheduled. No one noticed anything unusual.

Rege personally sent Jian Qiao back to the hotel.

When they parted, one of them sat on horseback by the side of the street, looking up; the other stood on the balcony, staring silently for a long time with his head down. It wasn't until the darkness enveloped the city and they could no longer see each other's faces that they waved their hands and turned away.

Back at the ducal palace, Rege strode into the gallery. He stood before the portrait of the 《Water Nymph》 hanging in the foremost position on the wall.

The goddess' long, wet black hair clung to her smooth white back. She turned her head toward the viewer, revealing a face without any features.

Rege hung his head and stopped looking at the painting. After a moment of silence he suddenly said, "Take it down."

The servant froze.

"Take it down." Rege's tone was more determined than the first time.

Only then did the servant bring the □□ and carefully remove the portrait.