Ruth

After diving into Naomi's story it seems natural that we would talk about Ruth. Ruth was a Moabite woman whose life changed when she married Naomi's son. I bet she didn't think that she would end up a widow at a young age. Even though she had her own family and gods that she followed, something about Naomi and the God of Israel made her decide to leave her old life and follow Naomi's path back home to Bethlehem. 

The two were widows with no one to care for them but it wasn't long before that all changed. Ruth was a hard worker and went to glean in the fields that belonged to Boaz. Ruth stuck out to Boaz in his field. Notice that the text says nothing about what she looked like. Boaz noticed her character. She was hardworking and he could see that. Her name was familiar in that he had heard of all the great things she had done taking care of Naomi. Ruth encompasses the Proverbs 31 woman. She worked all day gathering grain only taking a few minutes rest in the shelter. 

"She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. She is like a merchant's ship, bringing her food from afar. She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day's work for her servant girls. She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night." Proverbs 31: 13-18.

Naomi encouraged Ruth to work in the fields of Boaz and to ask him if he would be willing to redeem her. Proverbs 31: 10-12 says "Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." 

Ruth shows she is a woman to be trusted when she comes to Boaz in secret to ask if he would be willing to redeem her. This saved him from the public shame that he would have faced if he were to have said no. Ruth showed Boaz great respect when she thought about him before her right to a redeemer. Boaz, being a man of good character said that he was willing after he gave the closer relative a chance to do so. 

As women of God we should set an example to those younger than ourselves and show our willingness to work hard. When things need to get done we shouldn't expect that it is our husband's job to do them. No matter your profession you can perform as you are working for the Lord. Let everything you do be done with joy and passion as if you were working for Jesus himself. Show respect to your husband by seeking his input before making a decision. When you show him the respect that you give to the Lord, he will react with love that the Lord gives to his church (maybe not right away) but he will notice your character. I challenge you to choose to react with respect and see what the Lord does for you in your marriage.