Chapter 4- My hair

"Mathew," no reply "Mathew!"
"What May jesus" He picked his head up above  the bench in the locker room. The benched left a red criss cross pattern on his neck.
"Did you hear what I said?" I asked, annoyed to say the least. He grunted at me, that means no.
"I said that Edgar gave me a pack of gum this morning, which is weird because the first time I talked to him it wasnt the best experience." I explained.
"Are you sure you should be taking food from that guy, seems sketchy to be honest." He replied.
"Gum isnt food idiot. Besides, I have known him since 4th grade dont worry about it." I took out a peice and started chewing it.
My lips became tight, "Mathew can you check this for me, I dont have my glasses." I said. "Is this that cinnamon spice gum?"
"No."
"Weird for some reason it tastes, I dont know kind of spicy." My ears began to itch and my vision narrowed. It became hard to breathe. I knew this feeling, I was having an allergic reaction. The room spun until the blur turned to nothing. I ragained my consiousness with a sharp pain in my leg, I turned my head towards the tile. Mathews bag was on the floor and so was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  When I looked up once more I saw Edgar. I dont remember much at this point, I just remember being rationally angry at Mathew. Who, knew I was allergic and still brought that around me.
The next thing I knew I was staring up at the sunlight peeking through the trees. I was on Edgars back, he smelt like a library. I have only been to a library once and I was very young but its what I would imagine it to smell like. His ears were red, most likely sunburnt. He took each step strategically. We approached his house and, it was a wreck. Kind of creepy not going to lie. Yet, it was comfortable, safe. It took him a good 30 seconds or so to open the door but when he did, the smell of cherry cough syrup filled the air making me light headed once more.
At this point I wondered if I should have called my father to tell him what happend. But I dont think he would care to much. He has been spending all of his time at the laundromat with Valerie, his girlfriend. Valerie smelled like cheap perfume and she had hoop earrings that spelled out her name in the center. Her hair was a different color and her extensions, but besides all of this, she was one of the sweetest woman I have ever met. This makes me mad. I don't have any reason besides my own selfish ones to not like her.
The carpet of Edgars house had a very loud pattern on it. I sat on the edge of the couch, it was covered in plastic which made a weird noise when I sat down.
Edgar never takes a full step, he always seems to trip. Kind of like me. I walked up behind him and pressed my face against his neck. His body twitched but I dont think he noticed.
There were at least 100 records pushed together in a small container. I recognized many of them but as I tried to concentrate on the letter my brain went to mush once more.
I fell onto the couch and Edgar put one of the prettiest songs I have ever heard onto the record player. He sat next to me and I felt him next to me, he blinked hard at me, which made me giggle. He always seems mildly irritated by the world around him. But, when I smiled he did too. It was an awkward smile that pulled the edges of his mouth into a rectangular shape. His teeth had a big gap between them.
He walked up to the freezer and I got drowsy, I laid my head back and his steps followed gently on the carpet. He bent down onto his knees as if he was about to pray. He pulled an ice pack from behind his back and put it on my head, very very cold. But, he was trying to help so I wasnt going to say anything.
My arm fell off of the couch and touched his shoulder as he laid next to me. I fell asleep but I could tell that he didnt because when I woke up about 2 minutes later he was looking up at me.
The sun began to set and I stood up, "I should probably go, my dad is probably worried sick." That was a lie, but I didnt want to bother Edgar anymore than I already had.
He closed the door behind me and I sighed. I walked about half a mile to my house, when I got to my street Mathew was waiting for me. He was leaning against the stop light, which was barely standing at this point.
When I walked up to him he said,
"Geeny I really don't know how that got there, maybe it wasn't from my bag, maybe it was already there." He looked genuinely upset. If you didn't know him you wouldn't be able to tell. He doesn't show emotion in his face, only his posture.
"Its ok bug I know you didn't mean to." I said teasing him. He narrowed his eyes.
"You know I hate when you call me that," I interrupted and said, "You know I hate when you call me Geeny" He stepped behind me and rested both of his hands on the shoulders as we walked into his house. He sat down on the edge of his matress and played a song on his guitar, one that he knew I would know.  An F chord, C chord and Gm. He hummed the tune to a Tame Impala song as I drifted asleep next to him.
I was rolled over with my head in his armpit when I woke up sweating. I checked the clock on the wall and it read, '1:37am' I crawled out of his window knowing fully that I could have gone out the front door. The wood on the exterior almost always gives me splinters. I jerked open the door in my house to find my father asleep next to Valerie on the couch while infomercials were playing in a repetitive pattern. I walked up the stairs into my room and spent the night staring at my ceiling.