Chapter 30: The Friends

"It should be criminal to schedule Sensha-Do matches this early," Darjeeling muttered and yawned. "Whose idea was it even to travel halfway across Japan just for this?"

"It was yours," Orange Pekoe answered dryly as she helped Rukuriri set up the brewing station, chairs and table from the Bren Carrier.

"In fact, I believe you insisted, despite our protests," Assam continued and gave her eyes a quick rub, trying to hide her own tiredness.

"Is that so?" Darjeeling replied as she stared bitterly out across the field from the small hill they had set up their observation post on. "Thank you," she added as she was handed a cup of steaming tea.

"So, do you really believe you'll gain some further understanding of Nishizumi with this little field trip?" Assam asked as she sat down and received her own cup.

"Oh, I do hope so, my dear Assam," Darjeeling answered cheerfully, all the bitterness and gloom of the early morning vanished in an instant with only a few drops of tea in her stomach. "She is a fascinating girl after all. Especially if what you told me is true."

Assam shrugged, and took a small bite of a sandwich from the plate Rukuriri had put down on the table. "I make no promises. I just hear what I hear."

"Forgive me, Lady Darjeeling," Orange Pekoe said as she finished pouring her own cup and walked over to her seat, "but despite your continued attempts at explaining your fascination with Miss Nishizumi, I truly do not understand. Surely she is just what she appears to be? A daughter of a great family leading an insufficient team, no?"

Darjeeling smiled, and looked over her shoulder to her companions, gently stirring her tea, mostly for dramatic effect. "Do you know this saying, Orange Pekoe? 'Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.'"

"Yes, Macchiavelli, is it not?"

"Indeed," Darjeeling answered with a nod, and took another sip. "Oh, and I must commend you on the tea, My dear Pekoe. Most exquisite. An added dash of honey, I believe?"

"Ah, no, My Lady, it's-" Rukuriri began but Orange Pekoe quickly interrupted.

"It is as you say, Lady Darjeeling. Your palette truly is a cut above the rest of us. But whatever do you mean? Do you believe there is something else to Miss Nishizumi?"

"I am yet to be certain, but she is undoubtedly an odd phenomena. And odd phenomena require further studying. It may only be a hunch, but I believe she may show us her wings today, if all goes we-"

"DARLING!" Darjeeling's voice was immediately drowned by the gleeful cheer of Kay pouncing on her, wrapping her arms around Darjeeling and almost tackling her to the ground. It was nothing but a miracle that she didn't drop the cup or saucer she was holding, and even more so that she didn't spill any tea.

"Hello, Kay..." Darjeeling muttered through gritted teeth, straining against the Saunders Commander's grip and trying to break free. "What a... coincidence... to find you here. Now unhand me, you uncultured brigand."

"Awww, can't I even get a kiss first?" Kay asked teasingly yet affectionately, and struggled equally to close the distance between her and Darjeeling's lips while Darjeeling tried her damnedest to keep them apart.

"You may most certainly not!" she protested. "And if you continue to refuse addressing me as Darjeeling, you never will!"

"Oh?!" Kay said with a satisfied grin, and let Darjeeling go. Her trap had been sprung. "So what you're saying is that if I address you as Darjeeling I can have a kiss?"

"I-no-I mean-well-you-but-no..." Darjeeling stammered, but Kay was already down on one knee holding her hand as if she was proposing.

"Darjeeling, my vivid rose, my island in the storm, how most ardently I love you! Should I compare ya to a day where the cicadas humm and the sweat rolls down my back? I could-"