two.| but i realized

Rainbow coloured flags were what almost all the people crowded at the Elm's streets held. With faces streaked with the seven magnificently bright colours, along with the seven striped shirts adorned with the word "PRIDE" written with the same golden glitter on all the shirts. People cheered, as they grinned widely at everyone around them, without any care of those people who sneered from the sides of the street openly about their same-sex love.

If they weren't ashamed of whom to love, so why should I be?

"I can't believe you lied to my parents." I finally said after the prolonged silence ever since we left my house, jumping out of her car as she stood at the passenger door, as I fidgeted with the sleeve of the sweater which Andy gave me. It was a white sweater with rainbow stripes and even though I loved it, I didn’t say it out loud to Andy, who had purchased it exclusively for my confession. 

"It won't take them long to figure out that I don't arrange a girl's night out." She winked at me, as she pulled the passenger door open and pulled me outside.

"Look who finally showed up." I grunted in reply as Liam Coleman appeared suddenly from behind us, gingerly smiling at Andrea. If their fling between them doesn't bloom into love, then I'd probably change my name permanently

His brunette tuft of hair settled shabbily, as his pants were covered with traces of mud too. Hazel eyes, just like those of Lydia's, looked at Andrea, his cheeks streaked with the colours of the rainbow just like the numerous people around us. I coughed loudly, to stop them from staring at each other like creeps.

“So why is it that you have rainbow streaks on your cheeks?” I asked, trying to distract them from gawking at each other and bringing them back to the matter at hand.

“I’m an ally who’s rooting for his twin sister and you.” He winked at Andrea, as he folded his arms in front of his chest and leaned onto her car. She winked back at him, making Liam blush hard.

"Lydia’s waiting for you." He stammered suddenly, the tip of ears turning a dark shade of pink, "Near our jeep, it's over there." He pointed in the opposite direction of the street, behind the crowd of people who had gathered over there.

"Thanks." I started, mentally preparing myself for confessing my undying feelings for the girl I love. "And hands off each other until I'm back." I warned as I walked away.

I walked away from them, grinning to myself as I left both of them intently blushing and flustered.  I focused rather on the shouts of the crowd around me.

Until I realized it was something way more than mere shouts.

It's your day to find your love,
Find a love that you'd never let go. 
Never let go of the arms that make you feel safe.
Never let go of a smile that makes you happy.
A feeling of safety, a feeling of giddiness

The shouts of the crowd were not just random. It was more of a slogan, a slogan to encourage people to come out of the closets and of their houses too and celebrate it collectively. I closed my eyes, blindly colliding with the around me.

The cheers of the crowd just grew louder around me as it was almost 6pm. I have to reach Lydia before the parade starts, I thought, as my steps were more hurried towards where the jeep was parked. 

I caught the glimpse of the deep red shade of the jeep as I broke into a sprint to reach towards Lydia and get the heavy weight off my chest. The weight of being unable to confess what I feel about her.