Chapter XI: Return of the Phantom

The whole lair, the whole underground, were silent. Everything was lifeless, no sign of soul, except for them, the two "friends". (Y/N) was sleeping in Erik's protective, loving arms. Her mouth was open with her body relaxed in his embrace, for she felt safe. Even while sleeping subconsciously, she felt safe. Erik's hair was tousled. His chin was pressed against (Y/N)'s head, and his breathing was slow and deep, making him relax and let his worries go. His mask was not fixed on his face. Without him realizing, he heightened the white mask to his head which was irritating his skin in his sleep.

Steadily, Erik groaned and his eyes fluttered open. As his vision took focus, his eyes shook, with his heartbeat increasing in speed. Then, his tensed muscles loosened, and a smile was drawn on his face. The man was not used to waking up like this. He said it himself; being shamed into solitude was not very fun. Erik's eyes were fixed upon (Y/N) for about two minutes. Tenderly, he removed himself from under her. Her sleeping position shifted to the side before Erik pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead, hoping she would not wake up just yet. When he saw her lying there so peacefully, while her chest went up and down matching her breathing, he felt it. He knew he had developed feelings for a pianist he was not supposed to meet.

However, there were no plans in his mind to tell her his feelings, even if they grew stronger. The phantom had sworn not to fall in love again, not to get heartbroken again, not again. Despite that, he cared about (Y/N). He was willing to do everything in his power to make her feel safe and secure.

Flashback

"For the next lesson, I want this piece properly rehearsed, and start working on this piece. I'd say, the first 2-3 pages." (Y/N) heard her teacher say. Her face grew worried. Fuck, how will I get this done?

"Is there a problem?", Erik asked. "No," (Y/N) answered faking a smile, clearly lying. "(Y/N)... what is wrong?", he held her hand. "I just- I'm sorry, I'm under so much stress right now. A new opera, these new singing lessons, it's just too much."

Erik felt guilty. "Why didn't you say so before? I did not know that I was stressing you out this much. Just revise what we covered today. That would be just fine." The man really didn't like upsetting her. "REALLY? Thank you. I do appreciate you teaching me, really," (Y/N)'s mood turned joyful, and hugged him purely. Apparently, her love language was physical touch. I think I may be doing this too much.

End of flashback

Erik wanted her to let go of the worries that have been holding her back. She was a musical prodigy, yes, but everyone needs a break sometimes. He sat down at his desk, got his ink and paper, and took a deep breath. As the ink touched the paper, he started writing:

Dearest Firmin,

I think you already who this is by the stamp on the envelope. I am still alive, yes. However, my comeback shall arrive in peace. I have no intention of causing any harm to my opera house anymore, not after last time. I dearly appreciate the time and effort you took to rebuild this place. After all, "All publicity is good publicity." I might say though, I am more than pleased with the new orchestra and cast, especially the main pianist. Now, I know what you're thinking. The new Daaé? No, my old friend. Mistakes were made, and promises were broken. A new page is opening. Nonetheless, I will still demand my old requests, Box 5, and my monthly salary. My savings are kind of running out. One more thing, I want Miss (Y/L/N) to be treated the same way you used to treat Carlotta, even better. I shall suggest you give her a two-day break from practice, and do not worry, she is with me with consent. I remain, sir, your obedient servant.

O.G.

P.S.: Should you attempt to call the police, or contact any source of authority, I will not hesitate to bring foul upon this opera house once more.