"At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself. Talking to the moon. Trying to get to you. In hopes you're on the other side talking to me, too. Or am I a fool, who sits alone, talking to the moon?"
— Bruno Mars

Chapter Three

Claire's visit isn't very long with the two friends. Even though Bucky asks her to stay, she knows that her time amongst the living is almost up.

Steve, on the other hand, continues to be wary of her. He watches her every move like a hawk, which feels a bit overprotective of him to do. She tries to block out her worry of him as she leaves.

It shouldn't be unsurprising that, since her interaction with him, Claire finds herself watching over Bucky all the time now. He continues providing for his family, especially after the sudden death of his father, as well as Steve who, as it turns out, is a fight magnet. Bucky helps him out by either fighting alongside him or scaring away the competition.

The awkward bit, though, is when they talk about her. To say the least, Claire definitely made an impression on both men. Steve draws her from memory while Bucky investigates possibly finding out who she is. Neither one has much success—the power of the afterlife pulls through every time.

This is partially why Claire stays away from them too. When she becomes visible, she either pays her respects to her family, or she helps Henry in some way. He never recognizes her like he did that almost fateful night, so Claire has started trying to piece together a theory about why that could be.

Henry is doing well. He got married and now has a daughter who he named Julianne, in honor of his sister. As far as Claire knows, he hasn't spoken a word to anyone about what happened that night, and he probably never will.

When Bucky turns twenty-six, the president of the United States announces that the country will be joining the war against Germany. The propaganda and recruitment agenda skyrockets far past anything she's seen in history, so it isn't much of a surprise when Steve and Bucky express their interest.

Claire, however, doesn't like it one bit. She's seen war up close in the past, and Bucky and Steve should have no part in it.

"I should have my orders within the week," Bucky tells Steve as they sit on a street bench outside of a recruitment center.

Steve looks at the ground, obviously upset about the news, "I should be going with you."

"I think you not going is for the best, pal."

Claire sits beside Bucky, though he obviously can't see her. Her one day amongst them is coming up, though she enjoys being with them like this, even if it is unnoticed.

"People are dying over there, Buck," Steve presses the topic as if his friend has anything to do about it. "Good men."

"Dying isn't so great, Steve," Claire admits, though it's lost on them both. "Honorable or not."

"Good men also need to do the work here. The best men," Bucky tries.

Steve waves a hand, "You don't get it."

Bucky's eyes shift across the street. In an uncharacteristic manner, he gazes longingly at a man and a woman who are holding hands as they cross the street. Their laughs can be heard from down the road, which is probably what caught his attention, "I understand wanting something you can't have. You know that, man."

Claire follows his gaze. She's never really longed for love, as it wasn't really her place to in her time, but Bucky and Steve's outlook on life has rubbed off on her a little. They go on dates, experience romance, but nothing has stuck for either of them.