3. The Real-life Ticking Time Bomb

Chapter 3:

Changing in the girl's locker room was awkward, to say the least.

All the other girls were laughing and talking amongst themselves as they changed while I stood quietly off to the side, rummaging through my newly assigned locker.

Mr. Aizawa had dismissed us to our respective changing rooms, tracksuits in hand—we had 10 minutes to get changed and out to the training fields.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't been a little reluctant to leave Midoriya. He was the only person I was really familiar with thus far—that and the whole episode with anger issues incorporated earlier left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not that Midoriya needed my help with anything, of course, but he just seemed different around the blonde and not in a good way.

For some reason, I wanted to know more about their friendship... if one could even call it that—but it wasn't my place, and it certainly wasn't my problem.

I had my own troubles to worry about.

Still...

I refolded my school uniform for the third time in five minutes, trying to look busy instead of looking like a loner in the corner.

Mission not accomplished.

Part of me wanted to join in with the others, but I didn't know how...

I had no idea how to coexist with girls my age—Keigo was partly the one to blame for that. Being practically raised by a single man didn't exactly allow me to excel in anything girl-related.

I wouldn't even know what to say to them if I did try to start a conversation.

Fortunately, the universe took care of my self-imposed dilemma for me in the form of a petite brunette with rosy cheeks who suddenly appeared at my side.

"Hey! You're Y/n, right?"

I shut my locker and turned to the girl, "I am. But—um, do I know you?" I was positive I'd never met this girl before now. She wasn't in the recommendation rounds, and I hadn't told anyone but Midoriya my name so far.

"Oh! I'm sorry that was rude of me. I'm Ochako Ururaka! I talked to Midoriya earlier, and he mentioned you," She spoke with a warm smile. "Isn't he just the sweetest?"

Before I could respond to Ururaka and agree with her that, yes, Midoriya was actually the sweetest —an anomaly in this world for sure and the complete and utter opposite of that blonde...

One of the other girls chimed in.

"You're honestly kind of hard to forget, considering the whole fight club episode before class." She called out from across the room, effectively gaining everyone's attention as she bounded over to me. "It was totally badass!"

"Yeah, that was crazy! I couldn't believe how rude he was."

"It was disrespectful. Ribbit. He obviously has no manners. Ribbit."

The girls hummed in agreement with each other while I just stood there, unsure of how to respond. The center of attention was not somewhere I wanted to be, and yet here I was. Any plans I had to fly under the radar were shot to hell the minute blondie decided to be an asshole. Just great.

Ultimately deciding to suck it and deal with the hand I had been dealt, I tried to play it off like I was completely unbothered, resorting to my very best friend: sarcasm.

I halfheartedly shrugged. "Yeah, I didn't realize choosing a seat on the first day was that cutthroat for some people, but I guess I know now to look out for angry blondes."