FIVE

FIVE
DESIREE SANDERS

I could just remember the terrible day. The day that they had tipped the garbage can over my head and recorded it. I was sobbing, they were laughing, so I swore at them. Then the principal had called my mom. I could remember her slamming her hand on my face and shoving me around the house, explaining how I was a mistake, how sinful I was. I didn't go to school for days because of the terrifying wounds she left me.

I shook my head and decided to stop thinking about the terrible day of school. I woke up very early, around five am. I didn't do anything until seven o' clock. I climbed out of bed and kneeled to the ground, silently praying.

"Thank you God for letting me wake up every morning. Thank you for keeping my safe. And thank you for helping me find Calum." I whispered, "Amen."

The door opened and Mali smiled at me, "Good morning, Desiree." She passed me a fresh towel. "How did you sleep?" She asks. I watch her walk away from me to her dresser and pull out a couple of shirts and pants for me.

"Good, thank you." I sighed.

"I'm glad. Here you go, you can choose which you'd like or just go through my clothes a bit. My parents are gone, along with my fiancé. Oh, and Calum had stepped out to take care of an issue." Mali shrugged at the end.

"Okay, thank you." I nodded.

"The bathroom is that way, use whatever you need. I have a sports bra if you'd like to use it, and I could give you a pack of new underwear I had gotten about a week ago." Mali offered.

I smiled weakly, "That'd be great. Thank you again." Mali waved it away and set down the pile of clothes. "I'll drop those off for you. Once you're done showering you can come downstairs and join me for breakfast, Desiree." She patted my shoulder gently before exiting the room.

I took that time to strip off my clothes and wrap the towel around my bare body. Mali returned with what she promised plus my sneakers which looked freshly washed, "Here you go." I took them from her with yet another thank you. "No problem, Desiree!" She giggled.

She left me in peace to shower.

I picked out a plain blue v-neck with a pair of black shorts. I think Mali noticed that I wasn't the type of person that was allowed to listen to certain type of music, watch some kind of shows, and I think she assumed that I didn't know what the word, bae, meant.

I dragged myself into her bathroom and shut the door behind me firmly. I twisted the lock before hanging the towel over the shower's door. I turned on the water to hot and waited for a bit in silence. I took the time to think things through.

I hated when I started thinking about things. I hated it because I would always end up panicking and scratching my thighs in stress. There was always something that clouded my mind which really sucked.

I didn't understand why mom would just go against me like that. Was that why she was always making trips to Sydney? To see my father? To get him out? That's exactly what she was doing. She knew how much I despised the bastard.

I rummaged through Mali's drawers looking for a fresh razor and a comb, it took a few minutes before finally spotting them. I stepped into the steamy shower and rubbed my bare sides from being so cold. I scanned the round shower booth or whatever the hell it was called. There was a long line of shampoos, conditioners, shaving creams, and body washes. I chose a simple matching pair of hair products and picked out a vanilla wash.

I shaved my legs and armpits first, moved on to washing my body completely, then washing my hair. I combed through my thick difficult hair which took about nine minutes.