Chapter 1: It All Started With That Damned Book

Damned bloodsucking parasites! I growled under my breath. All I wanted was to finish my research in peace, but do I get that? No. No, I don't. I popped out of my hiding place behind a bookshelf and charged forward, pressing the trigger to my revolver. The ghoul's head burst, scarlet splattering the wall. What a mess, I thought grimly. Simply put, I should've been way more careful in this area, but I was so invested in my search for more magical tomes that I broke my first rule: make sure the neighbors are friendly. I had inadvertently stepped into a bloodbath as I made my way into an old, mostly abandoned library. Turns out, some vampire had made it a little headquarters in order to attack the town nearby. I had narrowly missed getting my flesh chomped on by the living corpses that the vampire had sent my way.

Ghouls groaned in the building; their shambling footsteps echoed. Ghouls were once human, but there was no way in hell to bring them back. Non-virgin humans who had their blood drained by a vampire turned into the creatures, just to obey the commands of the vampire who killed them and by then it was a mercy killing them. There was nothing in those bodies but the commands given to them. Just need to kill the fucking vampire that caused all this and the ghouls would die too. Then maybe I can refocus my efforts into finding the book I wanted before I was discovered. I whipped my arm behind me, blasting another unfortunate bastard. I felt pity for these former humans. Vampires tended to be pesky, at least the younger ones. Going on and on about glory and immortality like a bunch of broken records. I sniffed the air, tasting for anything vampiric to go after. All I could smell was the copper-tang of blood as well as the smell of the dead. It covered most scents that I could've used to even track the twisted being here.

I darted between shelves, shooting any ghoul I encountered. I made it quick. No matter who they were in life, they deserved something better than being a shambling, mindless zombie. All this for a book, idiot? Last time I ever go into a library after hours that's for sure. A ghoul, a woman, shambled at me. I pressed the trigger to my gun, but only a click was heard.

"Shit..." I hissed, raising my foot up and kicking the being straight in the chest. She fell and I took the opportunity to take my knife out of my belt, finishing her off quickly. I reloaded my gun, keeping a wary eye out. It's eerie enough that the vampire that resided here had yet to make her presence known. Yet, I found it incredibly disturbing that the moon was so full and bright, it lit up the library through the overhead ceiling window and hit the blood so much that it made the whole lighting appear red. I didn't even think there was a spot where there wasn't blood. I continued my pace. There was no choice in the matter. I'd have to kill the vampire. Even if I wasn't so concerned about the people the vampire planned to attack, there was no way in hell I was going to be able to leave this place quietly. I hurried out of the room, my weapon at the ready. I had silver bullets, thank God, but not a ton which is why I had loaded my gun with regular ones, hoping to use the silver ones when I met the vamp. I was going to have to make my shots count, I'd hate to use my other skill asset- who knows if there's someone actually alive here.

I blasted my way through, keeping myself moving. The last thing I wanted was to stay in one spot and get surprised by any ghoul or vamp for that matter. I sniffed the air, hoping something would get me a sense of where I can find the creature so I can kill it and get out while I can. If someone heard, they'd call the police, and that would be a fucking mess. I paused, a new scent wafting through the air. It smelled of... was that... Belladonna? Belladonna is a poisonous plant, I recalled from my studies, it used to be used in a lot of remedies in the older days and even used to make women more 'beautiful' by squirting the juice of the berries into their eyes. Which was obviously not smart given the poisonous nature of the plant. It's used in some medicine today but it's balanced as not to kill, but that doesn't mean you take more than the allotted dosage. I'm guessing that's my vamp. I head in the direction, loading up the silver bullets and preparing myself.