Stay Gold

(Play music while reading)
This alternative ending takes place after the fight against the Greasers and the Socs.
In this ending ponyboy takes a fatal blow during the fight but instead of going to get help he runs to the hospital to check on johnny, and spoiler alert they fall in love at the end :P
-

ponyboy ran into the hospital room, sweat and blood dripping down his forehead. He rushed over to his dear friend who was paralyzed in a hospital bed

"JOHNNY"

the worried boy yelled, tears running down his face, his hands were shaking as he placed his warm fingers in the boy's hair with a look of disbelief.

"GODDAMMIT JOHNNY LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO YOURSELF"

he said choking on tears

"I thought you were dead, i thought you left me"

"Ponyboy" Johnny said in a worried voice

"your bleeding"

Johnny's eyes widened as he saw the fatal wound on the left of his stomach

"Ponyboy take it easy, please, who did this to you"

Ponyboy immediately remembered he got stabbed in the fight against the Socs.

"We won Johnny, we beat the Socs, we did it"

"god dammit Ponyboy" Johnny said in a disappointed tone "that's enough fighting"

Johnny started coughing because he overexerted himself.

"Please don't talk" Ponyboy said crying "you need to rest"

Ponyboy walked over to the corner of the hospital room and collapsed, the wound was getting worse and worse but he didn't wanna leave Johnny's side, he made a promise to himself he'll never do that again. Johnny was always there to look out for him and he wanted to return the favor.

Ponyboy put his hands over his mouth and closed his eyes trying to muffle his cries, not only was he physically hurt, his heart was aching at the sight of a person he loved knocked out cold right in front of him.

Ponyboy blamed himself.

"Come here"

Ponyboy opened his eyes when he heard the quiet voice call him from across the room

Johnny's voice was so muffled and low, yet so loud.

Ponyboy walked over to Johnny.

"I'm too young to die ponyboy, there was still so much i wanted to do and so much i wanted to say"

Johnny had a look of regret in his eyes, it was like his soul was calling out to ponyboy to save him or wake him up from a really bad nightmare.

Ponyboy felt so helpless looking at Johnny "I'm sorry" was all he could manage to get out.

It was silent until Johnny started coughing again but this time it was violent and he started to shake.

Ponyboy started panicking and immediately grabbed the hospital phone, calling the number the nurses left on a piece of paper next to the bed just in case an emergency happens.
Ponyboy explained what happened and the nurses tried to comfort the boy but soon hung up so that they could rush over to Johnny's room.

Johnny soon became very quiet and he didn't show signs that he was breathing

"No" ponyboy said under his breath "No this can't be happening"

His hands shook as he slowly caressed johnny's cheek

"Don't die yet, i never told you how i felt all this time, I never got to tell you how i loved you"

Ponyboys eyes started to water

"I love you johnny, I know it's selfish but please stay here with me"

A million thoughts rushed through his head so many feelings stabbed his heart.

Love, pain, regret...

He loved johnny.
He stood over the boys body crying in disbelief, he covered his eyes to try and stop the tears from flooding down but he couldn't help it, he felt so alone and helpless he was drowning in sorrow for what felt like an eternity, Until he felt the warmth of another hand, it took every last bit of strength johnny had to lock fingers with ponyboy.

"Johnny" ponyboy said paralized in shock

"Stay gold ponyboy, Stay gold" the boy mumbled, pulling ponyboy closer to him

Ponyboy soon felt a warm touch on his lips, an affectionate touch that sent shivers down his spine, The taste of blood on ponyboys lips soon transfering to johnny.

The boys knew they were as good as dead, ponyboy bleeding out, Johnny almost paralized because of pain, but that didn't stop them. They held each other in each other's arms. Neither of them could speak but they knew exactly what each other were thinking

Nothing gold could stay forever