chapter two

LATVIA
chapter two

   The one day Dace had been looking forwards to the most had finally arrived: the first day of school in Minnesota. When she woke up that morning, she was full of excitement and nervousness. Usually, if she were in Latvia, she'd make up some lame excuse not to go and her and her twin brother Vadims would go out for the day and cruise town. Dace sure did miss Vadims. She didn't know what ever happened to him. She woke up one day and he was gone, no note or anything. He was just simply never seen again.

  Dace was quick to get ready that morning, taking a nice warm shower and dressing in the clothes she had spent an hour picking out last night, asking Rick what she should wear and what she wouldn't wear on her first day of school. Though he could care less, he sat there and helped her with his girlfriend Mindy who Dace could care less for. She met her once, and, she hated her. Something about the way she presented herself bugged Dace. She thought she was extremely pretty, but something about her gave her off vibes. She didn't know what it was, but she knew Mindy was bad news.

Dace stood in the family bathroom, staring at herself in the mirror, making sure she looked perfect for the day. She knew attention would be on her today. The new kid, most importantly, the foreign exchange student. Rick had told her that's all kids looked forwards to. The boys would be hitting on her, the girls would want to be friends with her, but she hoped Rick was just saying that. She was nervous around new people, and especially nervous for the day considering she was in a completely different country. She wanted the morning to be perfect.

   She peered at what she wore, Rick beside her, brushing his teeth obnoxiously while they both danced to the music that played loudly from Rick's radio. The two enjoyed their morning together, already forming a bond they could never replace. Dace had taken a deep breath, adjusting her clothes. She didn't want to dress up too much and make a bad first impression on all of the students she'd be with all year, but at the same time, she didn't want to look like a total bum. So despite what Mindy had picked out for her, she went with a cream colored button up top that was tucked in to a pair of medium washed high waisted jeans that were held up by a thin brown leather belt. The sleeves on the shirt had been rolled up, and a few buttons on the top had been unbutton to add some spice, but it wasn't too revealing for her disliking. Dace was sort of different. She wasn't too much into fashion, and quite frankly, she cared for food and her favorite brown leather journal more than she did people.

   She gazed over at Rick beside her through the mirror and she pulled her hair back with a brown clip that matched her belt. She pulled a few strands of hair from the front of her head and let them fall loosely in front of her face, "So, what time do we leave?" She asked, not even realizing she had been speaking in Latvian. When she saw Rick looking at her like he was completely lost and confused, Dace realized what she did. She let out a small laugh at the boy and apologized. She placed her hands in front of her on the counter and leaned forwards, "what time do we leave?" She repeated herself, this time Rick understanding.

   "Twenty minutes," he responded with a mouth full of toothpaste. He quickly spit it out into the sink and rinsed his mouth out before turning his attention back to the girl. "Will you be ready by then?" He asked, right as she finished getting ready by putting black mascara on to make her bright blue eyes stand out. She grinned widely once she was done and nodded her head.

  "I just need to put shoes on and then I'll be ready," she said. She began to smirk, "will you be ready by then? You're not even dressed!" Rick looked at her confused.

   "What are you talking about? I am!" He defended. Dace crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows. She pointed to his bare legs where all the boy wore was boxers, a white button up shirt with a tie around his neck.