Prologue

The world of Dlrow was peaceful. Vampires, werewolves, mages and humans coexisted peacefully, and they were ruled by the three royal families. 

  King Jackolope, the werewolf king, who had the largest land and was the most trusted. King Eris, the vampire king, who was known to be somewhat vicious and untrustworthy. He was always planning something that the other kingdoms hated. Lastly, there was the queen of humans, Queen Emily. She was more detached from the other kingdoms and was decently liked. 

  But then something happened. Some say King Jackolope was bewitched to hate vampires, other say that he always faked his kindness. The truth was, there was a prophet; one who saw what would happen to the werewolf king in the future. 

  "You will be killed in your very own castle," They told him. "It's a vampire. They have short black hair and yellow eyes. Its a female. You must be careful!"

  King Jackolope was astonished with this information. He became paranoid that vampires would suddenly stab him in the back. He started to put cautionary rules regarding vampires. Curfews, restrictive laws, and conspiring theories about vampires began to rise. King Jackolope's younger brother, Kayler, suggested mind control. And so, that is what happened.

 -◉- 

  Marcie was only 5 when King Jackolope's kingdom started to use mind control on all of the vampires living there. She and her family lived in the slums, and naturally they were the first to be controlled, being considered the easiest to handle. 

  "Maman, where are we going?" She had asked. She and her family were shuffling along in a line. As they neared the front, her mother and father both gasped. There were three mages stationed, using their magic and forcing vampires into a moment of what seemed like ecstasy; but they knew better. It was control magic, and a strong one at that. 

  "NEXT!" A large, gruff man exclaimed. The next vampire in line timidly walked to the mage, and magic flowed into his brain and his eyes became dull. It was a relatively fast process. Marcie covered her mouth and tugged on her mother's torn dress, also recognizing what was happening. 

  "M-maman, I'm scared... I don't want to..." Marcie whispered. Now they were at the very beginning of the line. The gruff man noticed Marcie, and she shivered under his powerful stare. 

  "You have a kid. She's coming with us," he ordered. Marcie's eyes widened and her eyes started to prick with tears. Her mother tried to block her from the large male's reaching hands. 

  "N-no, wait! M-mister, please let her go after us!" Marcie's father begged. The man grabbed Marcie's arm, ignoring the pitiful pleas of the vampire. Marcie cried out in pain. 

  "Maman! Papa!" Marcie sobbed, the grip on her arm tightening with each cry. She struggled, trying to free from his arms, but with no avail. He only picked her up, her legs kicking in the air and her eyes dripping with tears. 

  "Marcie, Marcie! Don't cry, don't cry... It'll be al-alright." Her mother choked out as her hands gently patted the air, as if to calm her down. Internally, she was cursing them, wishing that they would drop dead and give Marcie back. Angry was an understatement. She was infuriated. One of the mages was handed the crying girl, hesitant to use their magic. A glare was given by the man. 

  "Stay still," the mage commanded. Marcie obeyed, an influence of their magic. They put their hand on her head, and Marcie's mother shrieked. Suddenly, Marcie's eyes turned milky white. Marcie's mother and father were both grabbed. 

  "NO!! MARCIE!" Her mother screamed, as her father silently shifted to grab a concealed knife. Not to kill anyone, but to inflict pain on himself; a painful but easy way to resist mind control. The mages grabbed her parents' heads, pushing magic into their brains. Marcie tilted her head in confusion. 

  "Maman, Papa," Marcie said in a voice that wasn't hers. "Why are you resisting? Give into it! Its completely fine, Maman!" It sounded silky, almost slurred, like she was drunk (Of course, she's only five, so she isn't drunk). Her mother sobbed, knowing that she was being controlled. Her father stabbed his hand, the mind control disappearing as he screwed it through his palm. Blood gushed out.

  "P...PAPA!!" Marcie abruptly screeched in fear, snapping out of  the mind control as fear racked through her body. He was stabbing himself. "Stop, stop it Papa! You're hurting yourself! Stop it!!" Her yelling fell through deaf ears, as her mother did the same, scratching herself with her own nails, stopping the magic from finishing. The man had enough, grabbing the knife from her father's hands and stabbing him in the heart. The knife ripped out of him with a 'shlup' and slammed into her mother's heart in the same manner. 

  "I was getting tired of their hopeless whining. Clean up their bodies. Little girl, come with me." 

  "NO!! YOU KILLED THEM! YOU'RE A MONSTER!" She sobbed, stumbling as she turned away to run. Tripping over her own feet, her legs taking her as fast as she could, she thumped through the streets of the slums, everyone in line staring at her with wide eyes. "RUN, RUN WHILE YOU CAN! THEY'RE USING MAGIC TO CONTROL YOU!" Marcie cried. Fortunately, she knew these streets well, and she weaved through the winding alleys with ease. Chaos erupted in the line, everyone trying to escape from the three mages who were grabbing and controlling the unlucky vampires who were too slow or were at the back of the running crowd. 

  Marcie turned into an alley, meeting with a brick wall. She turned to see the man furious, stomping. "You brat. You've caused enough chaos. You really are going to come with me." He growled, his fingers popping as his hands' bones rearranged and nails turned into claws. He was a werewolf. Marcie leaped onto the wall and continued to run, obviously expecting the werewolf to easily catch up, but a gunshot was heard as another vampire shot him with a silver bullet, ushering her to escape. She thanked him quietly. 

  "I hate you, King Jackolope," she hissed. "I will kill you for causing my parents' deaths. You're going to die, I swear." 

Hello, it's SparklyCat here. Hoped you enjoyed the prologue! I spent 3 class periods trying to write it ;v;.

The first chapter hopefully won't take too long. 

Also: Marcie is french, which is why she calls her mom and dad 'maman' and 'papa'

Self promo again. Art book on my alt account GlitchCat1603 pls. lmao

Written 6-11-21