15 - Rats

Scias was a man who radiated power. It was visible in every move he made, in every word he spoke; even in every glance. He was drenched in arrogance and it made Rory wrinkle his nose. The man came from a rich family; everything had always fallen into his lap. How different was Rogier, who had even been a slave and who'd worked his way up to a notorious pirate captain? Rogier's proud stance also breathed arrogance, but it wasn't the money or a family name with which he got things done. It was the promise of a violent death when someone double-crossed him. 

"You want to enter into a trade agreement?

Scias was a tall, lean young man who seemed to be of the same age as Rogier. His dirty blond hair was pulled back neatly and his blue eyes took them in with a sharp gaze. They were intimidating in some way, although Rory wasn't impressed. Not like he was impressed by Rogier, who stood next to him, nonchalant, but with a challenging look in his eyes. 

"That's pretty obvious, considering the offer I just made. My ship is one of the few that dares to cross the Deadly Riffs. Trade with the isolated Nisima is just gettin' started. With that progressiveness of yours, I'm sure you see the money."

Scias ran a hand across his chin. "I will think about it. I know your reputation, Skull Crusher. But you are and always will be a pirate. Nobody trusts the word of a pirate."

Rogier raised his eyebrows. "Speak for yourself, I have plenty of good contacts. Only a coward doubts another man's honor." He laid a hand on Rory's shoulder, which felt heavy as lead. He knew what this meant. "I'm also a man who doesn't show up empty-handed. This is one of my best servants. He's obedient, completes his tasks properly, is a good storyteller and an excellent knife-thrower. He can be used for many purposes. You can add him to your... court."

Rory's guts twisted into a knot as the man's hard glance rested upon his face. 

"Come here."

Contempt dripped from his voice. Rory was itching to slap his face. His whole demeanor reminded him of Master Oleg. If he had harmed a hair on Mouse's head, Rory would once again do justice to his nickname "The Ripper". With squared shoulders and his head held high, he stepped towards Scias, refusing to dodge his intimidating gaze. 

Scias' lips curled into a scornful smile. "I don't think your master ever taught you a lesson in humility, did he? Which is hardly surprising, given that you all live huddled together like a nest of stinking rats."

Rory's hands moved to the sheaths on his belt. Well, this rat can send you to hell with one strike. 

He felt Rogier's gaze scorch his back and forced himself to relax his fingers. The man's death wouldn't bring his friend back. He took a deep breath and averted his eyes. 

"Take him away."

Someone grabbed his shoulder. Rory fought the urge to tear himself away. What if Scias put him in a cell? How would Rogier get him out? Maybe his attitude already gave away that he wasn't a servant at all...

Roughly, Rory was pushed towards the door. He shot a last glance at Rogier, but he didn't even look at him.

. . .

Rogier's first impression was that Scias was an arrogant prick. Exactly what he'd expected. He wasn't surprised by the lack of hospitality when he wasn't offered a room where he could stay until Scias had made his decision. The guy would probably even let him wait a few days before Rogier would hear from him again. 

That would work out just fine; it would give Rory more time to find his friend.

Despite everything going according to plan, it felt like his boots were filled with lead as he left the palace. Everything depended on Rory's ingenuity now; he had to find Finn and contact the ship. But he had faith in that blond fellow. As a kid, he had been trained as an assassin. He'd sneaked around before, looking for someone; he was used to being on his own and finding a way out of precarious situations.

Rory could do it.

After a ten-minute walk, he arrived at the port, where he entered his ship. North was pacing the deck, although he went to the railing once his eye caught Rogier. His fingers were tightly clutched around the wood. 

Rogier understood. 

Scias had taken someone he loved from him. There was no doubt Rogier also would have been on the edge of storming Scias's residence. That however didn't make the idea any less stupid. Scias was a suspicious man and Rogier had forbidden the Imo Gen crew to go ashore. Rory was within the palace walls now, he didn't expect him to run into someone of the Scarlet Siren crew. But outside, in the port... He wouldn't be surprised when the ship of North's brother would show up all of a sudden, and he didn't want anyone to connect the survivors of Imo Gen to his own crew. 

"Did everything go as planned?" North's voice sounded as flat as he looked at Rogier, but the knot in Rogier's own stomach was big enough to have a little clue of how the man next to him felt. 

Rogier nodded. "He's inside."

And hopefully not behind bars.

He just hoped Rory's pride wouldn't get in his way while pretending to be the humble servant. 

"Someone should explore the island," Rogier pondered. When Rory failed to escape, together with his friend, they would have to set up something bigger. It would be useful to have a detailed description of the island.

"Someone should."

North's voice sounded distant. It had to be tormenting to be so close to your lover without being able to see him. 

After a brief moment of hesitation, Rogier let him alone with his thoughts and thought of someone he could send to explore the island. Someone from his own crew. Markus was the first one to pop up. Things didn't exactly go well between them; his decision to send Rory on a mission hadn't made that better.

Maybe it was time to give Markus an important task, so he could prove himself as well. Maybe making himself useful would get him in a better mood. Markus wasn't a striking appearance and he was an easy talker, he could easily pretend to be a simple longshoreman or another type of laborer. 

But can I trust him with this? 

Rogier never would have doubted him back in the day, but things had differed since the man had given Rory made-up orders. The whole ship knew Markus hated Rory. Did that hatred run so deep he would betray them? Would he go to Scias, telling him the real reason why Rory was in the palace? 

He shook the thoughts off. 

Markus had paid for his crimes. Rogier had given him a second chance and he should really give him that chance. He knew his friend; he would do everything in his power to show his worth, especially after the mistakes he made.

He trusted Markus to set aside his personal grudge against Rory to do what was in everyone's best interest.

___

If you enjoyed this chapter and you want to support me as a writer, it would mean the world to me if you'd leave a comment, vote and follow my profile ♥