9 - The Captain's Favorite

Markus' hands were clenched into fists. In disbelief, he stared at his captain. Quickly, the man pulled back his hand, but Markus had seen how Rogier's thumb had traced Rory's bottom lip. He couldn't wrap his mind around it. Had he really seen his captain... flirt with that little shit? They had spoken in a soft voice, he hadn't been able to hear their conversation, but it wasn't hard to see what was going on here. Had that retarded captain who'd lost his plaything inspired Rogier to also find a child to keep his bed warm? It made him sick. So sick he wanted to puke. 

Rogier gave the boy a nudge. There was a blush on the cheeks of that little devil, telling Markus he would love to feel his captain's hands in other places. Their eyes briefly met. His glance wasn't shameful, but rather provoking. As if he knew that Markus himself...

No, he wanted no such thing. 

He would never stoop to that sort of pathetic entertainment 

Even when that dark longing really existed, he would always suppress it. 

Rory walked past him and descended the stairs. Rogier's hands slipped into his pockets, his eyes focused on Markus' face. He raised his eyebrows in a silent question. Markus took a step closer. To his surprise, his heart started to beat faster. How would it feel, Rogier's rough fingers brushing his neck, tracing his jawline, judging the softness of his lips? Somehow he expected the man to touch him as well. For why would he show this kind of tenderness to that little brat and not to him? 

"What the hell was that?" he snapped once he realized Rogier wasn't going to touch him. 

"What the hell was what?"

"You caressed his face!" he snapped. 

A smirk crossed Rogier's lips. "So?"

"So?! Can't you see what he's doing? He's offering himself like a whore. What guy does such a thing?"

"He indeed told me that he wanted to be my lover," Rogier answered calmly. "But I doubt he said that to others too."

Markus huffed. "Haven't ye see him smash his lips against that redhead's?"

Rogier looked him in the eye, chuckling quietly. "Maybe he was practicin'. Knowin' him, he doesn't want to disappoint his captain."

Markus' stomach cramped up. All this time he had been terrified that Rogier was going to hate him for having dirty fantasies about him, and now he acted like there was nothing wrong with it!

"So that's what you want for yer crew? You want everyone who's interested in a higher position to bend over for you?"

Rogier raised his eyebrows. "Are you tellin' me I'm so ugly that wanting a higher position is the only reason they'd want me?"

Markus felt his cheeks glow. "N-no," he stammered. "B-but..."

"What are ye doin' here?"

His mood had changed. Markus wanted to say something to appease him, but the look in his eyes told him he only wanted to hear a good reason why he had disturbed a private moment. 

Well, he had a reason — a reason he had completely forgotten about. While it was quite important, so he was afraid his hesitation would only displease his captain. 

"Kidd spotted a ship," he said. "One that's smaller and slower than ours. We could board it."

Rogier ran a hand across his jaw, contemplating his options. It wasn't necessary, it wasn't like there were shortages. Markus however knew the crew was desperate for some action. He wasn't the only one questioning this quest to get back North's boy toy.