In The Washroom

Rohan did not believe it the first time he heard it. But no one had seen her since morning. The air was tense. Teachers were in a meeting in the Staff-Room. Prefects and guards ran around. Rohan sat miserably in his class. The story was true. It had happened earlier. A girl had disappeared once and was never found again; and now, Chandni! Had it to do something with the role of Dorothy Gale?

Manav, Varun and Ayush were having a hushed conversation behind him. He did not want to join. He felt sick. Did she run away? That too, at night! Why would she do that? There was no plausible explanation. But then, he remembered her sitting all alone in the dark Green Room... something was indeed wrong with her. What was she doing there that night? Planning her escape? She had lied about him to his seniors, she must have. Was she crazy? How else could it be explained?

It was almost lunch time when girls began to arrive, chattering like flocks of birds. Yes, Chandni had been found and they excitedly narrated the incident to the news deprived boys. A Junior School student had forgotten his pullover in the Auditorium. He had the hall opened and when he went inside, he heard someone whimpering behind the curtains; and how scared he was! He yelled. And no sooner did he run out of the hall than the teachers rushed in. Chandni was lying unconscious on the stage. She was taken to the Infirmary. Apparently, she had been locked inside the Auditorium the previous night and had fainted out of fright.

"What was she doing there?" Rohan asked. Every head turned towards him. She had to cross two guard-rooms and a couple of patrol guards to get to the hall. Why, even in her wildest dreams, would she do that? And even then, how did she open the door? He had himself locked it. Maybe she used the side door, or... the truth dawned upon him. He now understood why everyone was staring at him. He felt his heart sink. What had he done!

It was he who had locked her inside! He imagined himself on that dark stage, he had been there once... the darkness... the quietness... the heaviness...

"May I come in?" a junior poked his head inside. "Rohan, you have been called to the Principal's Office."

Rohan wanted to evaporate. His body felt like lead. With great effort he rose from his seat and headed for the office, every eye on him. He found the principal midway in the front quadrangle, surrounded by prefects, their eyes radiating wrath. "Yes, Mr. Agarwal," said Mr. Lawrence. "What time did you lock the Auditorium last night?"

"Around 1:00 AM," he replied.

"And what time did Miss Joshi leave?"

"I don't know the time, but she left with everyone else. The hall was empty when I locked it."

"Did you see her leave?"

"No." Now it made sense. She might have gone downstairs while everyone was leaving. Only she knew what mental trauma she had gone through. The seniors were glaring at him. "I thought she left with other girls," Rohan said feebly.

"Don't think so much, you idiot!" fired the Head-Boy.

Mr. Lawrence studied him for a while. "Don't let this happen again," he said and waved him to leave.