Those Abandoned Barrels

Ayush returned the next morning, shouting madly on his way into the dormitory. He was overwhelmed that his classmates could go that crazy to bring him back. There was hugging and slapping and abusing and everyone congratulated each other and narrated their roles in the whole incident. Rohan cut himself out the moment he found time. He was restless. They had managed to get rid of the warden and bring their friends back, but the truth about Kajal still lay buried. He had told none of his friends about it. They were all gloating over their extra-ordinary achievement.

No one knew about her. No one cared.

He had felt special when he realized that it was Kajal who had saved him. It was the closest encounter he could ever have with her. It was thrilling... experiencing a vague bond with someone who no longer existed. All this time, he had been scared of her, and initially he had fought not to even believe in her existence. But she had been there all along, and even walked those very corridors once. Life had different, cruel plans for her. All this time she had only been asking for help, struggling, in her own way, for justice. And of all the students, she had chosen him, trusted him.

The principal began to call his classmates, in small groups, to the Staff-Room. Local parents and guardians wanted to investigate the circumstances that led to the mass runaway. However, the air had lightened drastically. The principal had already appeased them and they did not find any need to press the issue further. Rohan, unexpectedly, was called alone in the evening.

Mr. Lawrence sat at the head of a long table with his wife, Mrs. Nandana Lawrence, an elegant woman with a strict face and greying hair. Harry was sitting quietly in a corner. Mr. Roy, the vice-principal, was in a far corner writing something in a notebook. A police officer was exploring the campus through the windows while three constables were strolling outside. There were no parents.

"Come in, Mr. Agarwal," said Mr. Lawrence in a relaxed voice. Everyone had their eyes on him. Rohan waited for him to continue. "As I had said yesterday, let us start afresh. Let us forget what happened in the past and focus on what lies ahead."

What was it about? It was the last evening before the holidays. In a few hours, there would be a 'Chapel Service' and then they would be served 'Special Dinner'. New prefects would then be appointed. But rumor had it that the decisions had not been made yet and would be announced only after the holidays.

"Yes, Sir," he replied blankly.

"I am putting you back in the play team," Mr. Lawrence beamed at him. "There have been certain... eh, unforeseen turn of events, but let that not ruin the hard work you students have put in. I give you full responsibility of the play. Continue with your practices. You can contact Mrs. Sharma for help. And Harry," he turned around, "have you fixed a date yet?"

"Not yet, but I will let you know soon."

No props. No costumes. No date.

"I know it will be hard for you," Mr. Lawrence returned to Rohan. "But I also know that you can do it. Feel free to ask for anything you want. Go, work hard and win the audience. And I promise your contributions will not go unnoticed."

So, it was probably about the Head-Boy next year. But why, after all the ridiculous things he had said, were they putting him back in the play? It could have been some wicked scheme to win his loyalty and shut him up or a genuine gesture that they still believed in the goodness buried in him.