Moonlight shadow (prolog)

It was dusk and the last rays of sunlight had disappeared from the valley. But although the sun was gone, its light on the sky could still clearly be seen. Gjon was looking out his window, having stopped practicing for the day. He knew that skill came from training, but right now he felt kinda unmotivated.

There was silence on the farm. At first he thought it was because he was inside, but when he opened the window to get some fresh air, he realised just how silent it was. Not even the chickens were making a noise. He thought it was strange and went down to investigate.

The animals were all calmly in their cage or fold. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary except for the dead silence. His parents would be home soon. Maybe they knew what was going on.

As Gjon walked towards the house he suddenly heard a faint sound. It sounded like when the wind blew through the wind-chimes. Or how he imagined them to sound without the wooden clack. He looked around, trying to see where the sound came from. Then he noticed a girl walking on a path which led into the mountains. It was growing darker, but he could faintly see that she was playing on something. Could it be her making that sound?

In a split second he made the decision to follow her. He ran as fast as he could, while still trying to be quiet. The sound became clearer as he neared her and turned into a beautiful melody. Suddenly she stopped, turned around and looked at him. He stopped abruptly, nearly falling forwards but he managed to catch his balance.

They looked at each other for a moment. She must be around the same age as him. He looked at the instrument in her hand. It was a string instrument, but not any he had seen before, and it didn't look like it could produce the melody he had just heard. But it was quite beautiful and seemed to fit her.

»You play beautifully«

He said. She looked puzzled for a moment. Maybe she was a foreigner.

»English?«

Gjon asked. He wasn't that good at English. What he knew was mainly what he had learned from singing, but it was worth a shot.

»No no. It's fine. Thank you for the compliment«

She answered in French. Her expression had turned calm and there was a cute, little smile on her lips. He couldn't help but smile too.

»What is that? I never seen something like it«

He pointed at her instrument.

»Oh, it has no real name, but my father calls it a samonā. He says it's a family heirloom«

She positioned her fingers over the strings like on a guitar, but when she played it, that different chime came from it. He watched carefully, trying to understand how it could make such a melody. Then he noticed how the wind was flowing. It was gently tugging at her dress, which she was wearing despite it being autumn. But the incredible thing was that it seemed to flow to the rhythm of the melody. It was like she was controlling it with her instrument.

As the melody continued it flowed into the wind and he didn't realise she had stopped playing, until she spoke.

»Look«

She said and pointed towards the mountain tops.

»The moon is already rising«

Indeed it was. It was peeking up right where the mountains met. He looked down and could see a pair of headlights on the road far away. That must be his parents. What would he say if they asked about the animal's unusual silens?

Gjon suddenly heard the gravel crunch, and he looked to see that the girl was continuing her walk up the mountain.

»Wait! My name is Gjon. What's yours, and where are you going?«

»My name is Flora and I'm going to my parents. They like to meet under the moonlight«

He looked towards the headlights. His own weren't there yet, but he would have to run fast, to get back before them.

»Will I see you again?«

»I don't know. Maybe, sometimes the world is smaller than you know«

Then she began to walk again, playing her melody, and Gjon sprinted back towards the farm. He managed to get inside just as he could hear the car pull into the driveway. When he got to his room and looked out of his window, Flora had already disappeared but her melody still lingered in the wind.

✧·゚✵: *✧·゚:*  🌙  *:·゚✧*:✵·゚✧

Rome was usually lit up in one way or another. Being its size, there was no time for the dark. There was always someone awake, someone who needed some light in this ancient city. It left little to no room for the moon or the stars. The moon shone through her window many times, Victoria never felt like she saw it in its full beauty. Not like when she was outside of the city or visiting her family in Denmark. But despite the special shine not being present, she still liked to gaze at it once in a while.

One time while moon-gazing, she saw something different and unexpected. There had been a power outage in her area, so she had looked outside, trying to catch a glimpse of the moon and stars. It had been a cloudy day, so she hadn't expected anything, but there were small holes which let her see a few stars. Something else did catch her eye. There was a figure standing on the rooftop not far away. Victoria could see that she was playing something that looked like a guitar, so she carefully opened her window slightly and listened carefully. Indeed the person was playing something. A mellow melody, so quiet it almost seemed like it was part of her imagination. She watched the figure and suddenly a cloud moved away, letting the moonlight shine and revealing the figure to be a girl. Her dark hair flowed gently to the melody, and more moonlight shone down. It was like it was shining directly onto her, and it was like her melody was summoning the moonlight. The more she listened the more the melody sounded like twinkling stars at a full moon.

She watched in awe as the girl moved around on the roof, her melody seemingly getting clearer and louder. After what must be minutes she stopped and looked in her direction. Victoria swore that they had a brief moment of eye contact, and in that moment the moon was shining the brightest, letting her see that she was smiling. Instinctively she had dodged down and when she looked up, the girl was gone. But what wasn't gone was the beautiful moon light and the many stars dotting a cloud free night sky.

It was a strange memory which she sometimes thought about in bed. Who was that girl and how did she play a melody which captured the word "moonlight" so perfectly? That melody always played in the back of her head whenever she looked at the moon, and it always helped give the moon a little of its magic back.

But the girl not only gave her moonlight, but also to her friends and Italy.

»Hey Vic, how about you give us some danish words?«

She had been asked upon the formation of her band. She had suggested words from things that made her happy or sounded good standing alone, and måneskin had been one of them.