《Chapter 42》Break

Adam POV*

Not too much later we arrived at a random bar I'd never even heard of. George parked his car and we all made our way inside. We went in and took a seat at a nearby table.

"So I have to ask..." Julie said as we sat down. "Why do you know of this random bar? It wasn't exactly the close by..." we all looked at George waiting for a response.

"Well, one of my close friends- well doesn't own it, but spends a lot of time here. So I thought might as well take this opportunity to say hi..." he shrugged. We were quiet for a bit.

"This wasn't about celebrating, was it," Jean smirked. George looked away, scratching his neck. "Well, yeah it was... but I also needed an excuse.." he admitted. "Of course".

We all laughed and talked for a while until George got up to look for his friend. We all stayed behind, talking about what kind of drinks we were going to get.

I just sat there awkwardly, as I already knew I was going to just get like, a coke. While they both went through the entire menu multiple times trying to decide.

A few minutes went by and George finally came back, bringing his friend with him.
"Alrighty, guys. Let me introduce you, to my ex-best friend-" he earned him an elbow from his friend. He just shrugged and looked at him, "What? It's true" he laughed. "Don't say it like that though." His friend laughed.

"Anyway-" George turned back to us. "This is Charles." He smiled. We all waved and said some quiet 'hi's. He let out a small chuckle before gesturing us to move, and sitting down next to me, everyone introduced themselves.

"So what brings you all here today," he said trying to sound formal. "We just finished a school project," Jean said. Charles looked at us confused. "He needed an excuse to come here," Jean said, pointing at George.

"Oh right," he smiled. "So you came here to celebrate?" He asked. We nodded. "I guess you can say that." Julie smiled.

"So if you don't mind me asking?" Jean continued." Why is it you hang out a lot in a bar all by yourself?"

He looked a George. "He told you, huh?" Jean nodded blankly. "Well if you must know.." he leaned a little closer to us. "Don't tell them but- I might have a small crush on the guy that owns this place" he smirked.

Suddenly George playfully hit him with a menu card. "Don't be ridiculous." He laughed. "He's just here a lot because he's best friends with the owner." He explained. Charles sat up again. "Yeah, sure. What he said" he said, holding his head.

"So, we're you guys planning on ordering something?" He asked us after a bit. "Yeah duh," George said getting the menu again. "Shouldn't we go to the front then?" Julie asked.

"Nah it's fine, ill get it." Charles offered everyone picked something and told him. Everyone decided on some sort of alcoholic beverage.

"And what about you?" He looked at me. "Oh, just a cola is fine." I shrugged. "You sure, you are at a bar.." he asked again. "Yeah I'm sure" I smiled.

"Alrighty" and with that, he got up. "Would you mind helping me carry all of it back?" He asked looking at me. I nodded and got up. Walking up to the main bar at the front.

"Barkeep, I got some order for ya-" checks aside as he leaned over the main bar. "What are you doing down there.?" He asked confused. I couldn't hear a response but soon Charles got back up and the 'barkeep' as he called him, got up. "What is it?" He said looking irritated.

"Nathan?" I looked over confused, not understanding why he was there. His irritated look changed to shock as he turned from Charles to me. "Wha-"

I took a step back "what are you doing here?" I asked confused. "I- well. Working.. " he stuttered. I looked around for a second. "Why are you working here?" He got quiet for a bit. "Well, it- uh-"