𝟏𝟕| 𝐍𝐨 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"Er... could you put me down," I suggested after he'd climbed a couple of steps with me still in his arms, pressed against his hard body. If I don't be careful then this would be my greatest downfall...

...but oh, what a fall it would be.

I shook my head. I couldn't be thinking of this right now. I was in trouble. I needed to concentrate to get myself out of here otherwise things could get a bit darker— at least that was what I was able to tell from looking at his intense eyes focused ahead while his face remained as unreadable as ever.

He halted in the middle of the steps for a moment. His tough eyes regarded me in a way that had my heart beating in a different rhythm.

"No," He answered curtly before he resumed climbing the stairs while leaving me more bewildered than ever.

"But why? I am able to walk," I claimed. This time, he didn't look at me. His gaze was fixed ahead as he climbed the last stair and turned towards the corridor that led towards his second office. It was the exact opposite way to my bedroom— just exactly where I was planning to escape.

"I know that,"

"Then why don't you let me use my ability to walk?"

"Because you'd go straight to your bedroom to avoid me," He shot back. I tensed in his arms while my face grew even redder.

"How did you know?" I grumbled, crossing my arms on my chest as he carried me down the corridor to his second office.

"It doesn't take much for me to know a girl like you. You're all predictable," Was his answer.

"What did you mean by that?" I demanded furiously. He effortlessly pushed open the door to his office with his foot and walked inside the same way he'd have brought me here after kidnapping me for the first time.

"Why? Was is it so hard to understand?" He questioned as he finally put me down, returning his fierce gaze back to me. There was something in his eyes that made my nerves quiver.

I felt small in front of him again, or rather under his eyes. I didn't know what it really was about him that always made me feel like this. Maybe it was the fact that he easily towered over me or maybe it was because of his dark, bottomless eyes that always reminded me of a starless night sky storing infinity within itself. His vastness made me anxious at times like these.

"No," I breathed, returning to my senses and becoming aware of the gravity of the situation.

"Tell me, Ophelia," He demanded as he ate the remaining distance between us while his black leather gloved hands disappeared inside his pockets.

I was surprised for a moment that he'd address me with my Christian name without any hesitation. Of course, it definitely didn't help the emotions roiling inside of me. I was briefly distracted by the way my name sounded rolling out his lips, woven in his deep, masculine voice.

It had my heart racing furthermore while he remained disturbingly composed and enquired with a businesslike severeness, "What was your actual intention behind following me there tonight?"

Anxiousness bubbled inside me but I answered, "I saw your butler dropping some keys that seemed important. My intention was to simply give them to you,"

A muscle in his jaw ticked. I couldn't tell what was about to come next— that was the thing about him.

"What if those keys weren't important and tonight you risked not only your safety but ours too for nothing?" He pressed. I was answerless now. "What if your carelessness had gotten us caught? Could you ever think of the consequences had one thing gone wrong tonight?" I tried to swallow down the lump building in my throat as he stabbed me with his brutal questions.