Chapter 31: When You Love Someone

*** Alyssa's POV ***

I look over at Tyler sitting in the passenger seat, beaten and bruised from head to toe and yet smiling as though he is the happiest person in the world.

"I really appreciate what you were willing to endure for me, Tyler," I tell him as I reach across to take his hand. It's not the first time and it probably won't be the last time that I tell him that.

We still have about 35 minutes until we'll be back on campus, and I find myself wishing there were more time. I like it just being the two of us here in our protected little bubble, no drama and no responsibilities. On the other hand, I'm eager to get him home so he can rest. The man is physically and mentally exhausted, even though he won't let it show, and classes start back up tomorrow.

"It was more than worth it," he replies, bringing our hands to his lips so he can kiss the back of mine. "I would have done it all ten times if that's what it took. You've been all over me since I started, plus your dad invited me to come back whenever I want, and I think he meant it. He might even kind of like me now."

My dad did seem pretty impressed with him by the time we left. He told us that the Elders who oversaw the trials had nothing but good things to say about him, though they have to talk to the others still, so it could all go sideways from there. Still, Tyler is right. Even if he ends up failing the trials, he succeeded at winning my dad over, and he's right that it has brought us closer as well. It means everything that he so bravely went out on a limb for me and risked it all just to prove himself to my family and my pack.

"He did, and I'm shocked about that," I admit. "I thought it impossible, but I never should have doubted you. I definitely owe you, that's for sure."

"You don't, but I won't say no if you were to offer to soak in the tub with me when we get back," he suggests without even a hint of seductiveness. The poor guy is probably too tired and sore to even think that way right now.

"Deal," I happily agree, looking forward to it.

We had a soak like that together last night, and it was surprising to me how much more intimate it feels to be naked together when sex is off the table. He even let me wash his hair for him, and it felt like he was letting me into a private part of his life. People are particular about their hair, and yet he trusted me with his. I am eager to experience that with him again, and glad he seems to feel the same.

He smiles and leans back in the seat, settling in for the rest of the ride. We took his car to the airport because he didn't like the idea of my "fancy" car sitting there while we were gone, but I demanded to drive us back because of the condition he is in. He didn't even bother arguing, happily handing over his keys so that he could just relax on the ride back, and I let him be for the rest of the ride.

I notice Matt's van parked in the lot when we pull into their place. I am both excited and nervous to see him. We haven't spent a lot of time together since he took a break from Jess, but I also am feeling pretty close to Tyler at this point and worry how awkward it might be between the three of us now.

I help Tyler out of the car and up to their apartment, deciding to worry about our bags later. He probably doesn't need the assistance, but I feel responsible for the state he is in and he doesn't seem to mind any opportunity to touch me. He's definitely worse off today than he was yesterday after finishing with Elder Benjamin, but I'm told that's to be expected for a human body.

"Whoa, dude, what happened to you?" Trevor asks as we make our way into their apartment. He hops up from where he is sitting and comes over to us. "Do you need any help?"