Best Buddy

-Zu?

-Hmm?

Yuzuru mumbled, trying to hold onto the sleepiness, not willing to wake up just yet.
Emily was already dressed up, sitting next to him on the bed.

-I will go and make the breakfast now. What would you like?

-You?

Emily smiled, gave him a quick kiss but continued waiting for a proper answer.
Yuzuru rolled over to face her, slightly cracking his eyes open.

-Anything. You know I like whatever you cook.

-And what would your mum like?

Yuzuru chuckled, thinking only one kind of breakfast his mum would find acceptable.

-Probably a Japanese breakfast but cook whatever you like, Em. We will happily eat it. Or I can just take us all out?

-No, no....I really wanna cook something. I got so much better ever since I am following that cookbook from your friend.

-You were great already before that.

-Yeah, but with that, I learned so much more. What is her name by the way?

-Who's?

-The friend of yours from MIT.

Yuzuru closed his eyes again and took a deep breath.

-Anya. Please cook whatever you like.

-That's a nice name. Quite unique, isn't it?

-Hm.

-Sorry, I will let you sleep soon, just please tell me what is typical for Japanese breakfast. You know I can cook Japanese dishes well.

-Yeah, but our breakfast is too complex. It's a miso soup, rice, fish, vegetables, seasoned nori, and whatever leftovers from dinner.

-Damn, that sounds like a full lunch!

-Yeah, but it's nothing deep-fried, it's supposed to be very light, with small portions of various things.

-Hm, I could handle that though. We have the ingredients, I would just need the fish.

-Can you make scrambled eggs?

-I am not gonna make scrambled eggs for your mum!

-She will eat whatever you prepare, I will make sure of it.

Emily sighed, seeing she won't get any proper answers from half-asleep Yuzuru, and got up.
She went to the kitchen and decided to just wing it from whatever was in the fridge.

She stared into the fridge, took out some things, thinking she could even make pancakes on the side. Just for fun. Everybody loves pancakes, right?
As she stared at the things she could work with, she suddenly heard keys in the door lock and popped her head out of the kitchen, looking into the hallway.
She thought that at this hour, Yuzuru's mum was still in her bedroom but suddenly she saw her coming through the door with multiple grocery bags and hurried to help her.

-Good morning!

-Good. Morning.

Yumi answered and Emily quickly took several bags from her to help her as she was taking off her shoes.
Without another word, Yumi went to the kitchen and Emily went right behind her.

She put the bags on the counter, pushing all the things that Emily took out aside.

-Um, you don't have to cook. I thought I could make breakfast? You are a guest, after all, just relax!