Chapter 3

"Hello? Wh-who’s there?" Izuku is only slightly terrified.

Out from the inside of a pile of junk, a person with pink hair and steampunk-style goggles pops out.

"Well hi there! The name’s Mei Hatsume! Are you the one sorting out the parts for my babies?!?"

...

"OH! Uh, What?" Izuku was very confused.

"My babies! I make them with spare parts from this beach! Wanna see?" Hatsume asked, full of anticipation.

Now, logically, Izuku knows he should say no. He has done what he wanted to do, he can, he should go home now. He definitely should not follow a person he does not know through a beach in which he is lucky not to have stumbled across a dead body. But then again... "I'm Izuku Midoriya. He/Him. And sure." He said.

"Yay! Zuku, you’re going to help test out my babies!" She says as she drags him along to where he assumes her babies are.

When they get to her section of the beach, he finally gets what she means. Amongst the piles of garbage, there is a smaller but still substantial amount of gadgets. They look like they can do just about whatever you could dream of.

"Woah! Hatsume, these are amazing! Did you actually make all of these?" Izuku asked.

"What do you mean? Of course, I made all of these! But you can't call me Hatsume." She replied.

"Uh, then what do you want me to call you?" He asked once again.

"Whatever you want! Just not that, I don't do formal." She responds, moving towards him.

"How about, uh, Meimei?" He yelped, only realizing what he was saying after it came out of his mouth. "Wait! I didn't mean- I'm sorry! That probably wasn't appropriate for just meeting you and- Oh my god. I forgot to ask your pronouns and you must be so mad-"

"That's perfect! I love it! And I guess any pronouns work? I'd never really thought about it or cared how people refer to me." She cut his spiral off.

"Oh. That's good! I go by he/him and they/them, I don't care much." He said, back to normal. "Oh! Uh, Hats- Meimei? What are y-you, uh, doing?" He squeaked.

"Feeling your muscles! There aren't many yet, but we can change that! Maybe I can make a baby to help with that..." She trailed off into mumbling.

They continued to talk about different heroes and support items for such. Until finally, Midoriya decided this was useful information and pulled out his notebook. Mei spotted it and decided she needed to look through it.

"Zuku! That has so much information for my babies. Let me see, please." Mei says.

"Meimei, it's embarrassing!" Izuku refuses. While he knows logically the notes on different support items and what new support items they could use would be helpful for Mei. But, well, last time someone else got their hands on his notebook, it didn't end so well. As in, burnt and thrown out a window into a koi pond.

So, no one can really blame him for not wanting people to see. Kachan has always called them stalker-ish and creepy, and he didn't want to ruin this friendship quite yet. "I only use these to get my thoughts and ideas out, they aren't that special."

"Zuku. I don't think you get it. From what I saw, those 'ideas' of yours, can actually happen. As in, we can make them. For real." She states, much more serious, cutting him off.

"Wait, really? I'm not too sure about that but I, uh, think I would like to try?" Izuku managed to get out after a moment of silence. "Do you- Can I have your p-phone number? I know it might be sudden but I kinda need a way to contact you if we're going to be working together and-"

"That's great! My parents and I happen to have a workshop at our house, feel free to stop by! Here is my number and address, Zuku." Once more cutting him off, she pulls out a business card, making a few adjustments. "Oh shoot- I actually have to go or my parents might just ban me from the lab. Make sure you keep in touch okay! See ya Zuku."

"I- See you later Meimei."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's how this pink-haired puzzle of a person stumbled into his life. Izuku knew it was technically a strange way to meet someone, but he didn't exactly have room to complain.

As he started walking home, he started to notice an unusual weight in his pockets.

He accidentally stole Meimei's gadgets.

Izuku may or may not have been panicking as he started to realize just what he had done. He was trying to evaluate what would happen if she found out, only to end up admiring the hard work and quality.

One of the inventions was a somewhat simple mask, buttons on the sides to adjust how much of the face was shown. Another was a pair of gloves that he had kept on from when Meimei had him try them out. From what he remembered, once activated, they spread out around the forearm and upper bicep, working as a type of shield. This tool also enhanced the strength of a punch, by using tiny air jets to make up for the lost speed. Even going as far as functioning as a type of brass knuckles.

Now, Izuku is a very curious person, so he decided to put on the mask as well. As Izuku looked into his reflection in a shattered mirror, he saw a strange figure behind him.

"Give me all your money, and no one has to get hurt, kid."

A/N: OMG this chapter was really hard for me to write. I am a Hatsume Mei simp so like how am i supposed to portray them?? I ended up as like this genius that no one understands, who I feel would jump at the chance for chaos, but is mostly just focused on their work. Also I included pronouns! I meant to do it earlier but there was no good way for me to? if that makes sense? Me personally I go by any pronouns (though people usually just stick to she/they), so while i have some experience with them, if you happen to see that I'm using them incorrectly please correct me :)

PS: I really like the izuku and mei dynamic (not usually as a ship) but its just so chaotic and i love it.

~ your injured bicon