Chapter 7

Fun fact: This book is particularly inspired by a vocaloid song so you know something's about to be messed up 😏

"What you're doing is getting sort of weird, so I'm just gonna... open this." He finally opened the book over both of our heads. To my surprise when he opened it, it really was just a very basic cookbook.

"What were you so worried about? I'm not going to lie, this is pretty plain, but nothing to panic over." He flipped through it. I let out a breath, but I was still confused. I hadn't opened it yet, but I was told it was basically the secrets to the city. This wasn't that, at all. I began to doubt Weasley's intentions, but would they really do this to me after pouring out their soul to me?

"Oh, uhm, I wanted to surprise you with something from there." I pulled an excuse out of my ass, hoping it would pass.

"That's very sweet of you, but you don't need to do anything for me. Having you around is quite enough." Usually, I think that statement was supposed to be nice, but it set me off in a weird way. I hated the face he made when he said that, and everything in general about him right now. That damn smug face. Before I knew it, I found myself wishing I could wipe it off his face, in a violent way. I quickly willed that away, but it hovered in the back of my head with a knife, stabbing me every time I forgot. I gave him a side glance, taking my book back, putting it back down besides the cookies and other things on my counter.

"So which neighbor did you visit?" He retook his seat at my counter, looking at me expectantly with eyes that bore into my soul.

"Someone on the top floor. The one with the white hair." I continued standing, getting annoyed and freaked out of even the thought of having to sit next to him. I couldn't imagine how the rest of today might go.

"Oh, them. They're definitely interesting. I don't know them well." He looked up a little, as if looking for them. That was also supposed to be something nice, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

"They're plenty nice, I assure you. They just are a busy person." I felt close to pulling my hair out. I don't know what happened, but something in me clicked, and all of a sudden, I couldn't stand him anymore.

"Hey, you know what? I totally forgot to wash my face earlier. I'm going to quickly do that, if you don't mind." I began backing away from the counter and Radiant.

"Oh, not at all, take your time." He smiled at me. He turned his back to me after that, causing me to shudder. It was something by so mundane but still managed to get under my skin.

I locked myself in my bathroom without so much as a glance back. I propped my back on the door, leaning against it. I turned to my left to look at myself in the mirror. I studied myself, questioning what has just happened to me. I had really liked Radiant before. He was so welcoming and felt like a lantern in the dark. Now he felt more like a red flag. I didn't understand what had changed. I looked into my own eyes. They were pale, like they were before. As I contemplated myself again, I found myself looking a little closer than I had before. I was unsure if it was just a trick of the light, or if I remember wrong, but I could've swore my eyes had more pigment than before. I blinked rapidly, but then decided to brush it off. After all, as far as I knew, eyes didn't work like that. They don't just change color.

I propped myself up with my elbows on either side of the sink and began splashing water on my face. I pumped some face wash onto the tips of my fingers and rubbed it into suds. I half hazardously tried my best to spread it all over my face only to quickly rinse it off. I wiped my face with a nearby hand towel, only to stare at myself a little more in the mirror. After another short glance back in the mirror, I took a deep breath to gather myself. Finally, I left the bathroom, hopefully ready for this tour.