War Stories

"Sometimes it's better not to look back." – Ransom Riggs

You didn't even get to say goodbye.

You were shoved towards the train station, no time for visitors, no time to see your kids' faces once more, only catching glimpses of their distraught eyes and pure devastation as the four of you got pulled away. There was nothing you could even think of to say to comfort them as they called out to you, held back by peacekeepers.

Sorry kids, this is the last you'll see of me hopefully.

You hoped you'd done enough.

You hoped that you didn't just leave pain in your wake wherever you went. That they could get the lives they wanted with or without you there. Even if year after year they were reaped, to which there would be no point once you two were gone unless Zeke wanted to hurt Hanji even more, he wouldn't be able to get all of them. They'd make it out, they'd get the lives you didn't. That was enough consolation when you stared back at their sobbing faces with a smile.

You'll be okay you lot, don't cause too much trouble alright?

All you heard was weeping as they disappeared from your sight. You knew in one way or another, you wouldn't see them again, you'd made your peace with that, or you at least thought you had. But as Levi wiped tears from your eyes and held you to his shoulder, you realised with a sniffle that you weren't nearly as strong as you wished you were. Even after all this time, you were still that girl that got her name called all those years ago.

You thought you had long abandoned her by now.

Such is life.

The three of you; Levi, Hanji and you, sat around on the familiar velvet couches, passing around the massive bottle of whiskey that Nick didn't make a comment on for once. The man himself stayed busy by lecturing entertaining Eren and Mikasa who were exploring the train carriages from front to back.

You leant onto Levi's shoulder as you looked past him out the window, watching the trees go by. They were so green and lush, looked so pretty against the bright blue sky, sometimes decorated with bursts of colour from the birds perched in the trees. Even they seemed to watching you.

Your fingers walked over a few inches to Levi's, tangling them in your own. His hands were warm. He didn't look at you, still pissed, but not enough to let small moments go to waste. You wouldn't have many of them left.

"So, this is it huh?" you asked, looking to Hanji who was only microscopically less angry.

She sighed, before taking her glasses off and putting them on a side table, crossed her arms, leant back and stared daggers at you.

"Are you glaring at me or are you just blind?" You knew the answer.

"You're insufferable," Levi muttered.

You tilted your head up to him. "I'm well aware."

He finally looked down; eyebrows furrowed. "Then stop."

"Nah."

A chuckle escaped from Hanji before she forced her lips back to a frown.

"Stop being angry at me..." you whined, "It's not going to do any good is it? And what did you even expect me to do huh? As if either of you would have done any different."

"Doesn't change the fact you did it," Levi said.

Hanji finger gunned him in solidarity.

"And I'm the insufferable one. Sure." You rolled your eyes before taking another swig.