15

"Maybe you just stole the princes face, and are pretending to be the one who y/n fell in love with" said Alina. "You have to understand, the only place I could safely reveal my identity was here in Ravka. Only the most trusted members of my crew knew who I really was- Tolya, Tamar, Privyet, and a few of the other etheralki. The rest. . .well, theyre good men, but also mercenaries and pirates".

"So you deceived your own crew?" Alina asked. "On the seas, Nikolai Lantsov is more valuable as a hostage than a captain. Hard to command a ship when you're constantly worrying about being bashed in the head" chuckled Nikoali. "At least Nikolai Lantsov isn't bad in bed" you said, pouring more kvas.

"And how would you know?" he asked, "how wouldn't I know". "None of this makes sense. Prince Nikolai was supposed to be off somewhere studying boats" said Alina. "I did apprentice with a Fjerdan shipbuilder. And a Zemeni gunsmith. And a civil engineer from the Han rovince of bolh.

Tried my hand at poetry for a while. The results were. . .unfortunate. These days, being Sturmhond requires most of my attention". Mal leaned up against the tent post. "So one day you decided to cast off your life of luxury and try your hand at playing pirate?".

"Privateer" corrected Nikolai. "And I wasn't playing at anything. I knew I could do more for Ravka as Sturmhond than lazing at court". "You never came back cause you became Sturmhond" you said, I thought you were off at school or the military. I didn't think you'd left any of that". "Well I-". "I need some air" you choked, sitting up from the table and walking out of the tent.

"Did you not tell him about your little charade?" asked Alina, "I wanted to, but it just never happened". "Where do the king and queen think you are?" she asked, "a university in Ketterdam. I did hire someone to impersonate me. Coulndt stand being there, it's lovely but I cant sti still".

"Okay fine, you're a prince. What do you want with us?" asked Mal, "your help". "The game has changed. The fold is expanding. The first army is close to revolting. The darklings coup may have failed, but it shattered the second army, and Ravka is on the brink of collapse."

"why come back now?" you asked, standing next to Mal. "why come back only when Ravka is ruined?". "Vasily is next in line for the throne" said Nikolai.

"But I think he can be convinced to step aside". "That's why you dragged us back here?' Alina said in disgust. "Because you want to be king?" "I dragged you back here because the apparat has turned you into a living saint, and the people love you. I dragged you back here because your power is key to Ravkas survival".

Alina slammed her fists on the table. "You dragged me back here so you could make a grand entrance and steal the throne!" she shouted. Sturmhond leaned back in his chair.

"I'm not going to apologize for being ambitious. It doesnt change the fact that I'm the best man for the job". "Of course you are" you scoffed, rolling your eyes.

"Look, I messed up okay. More than once, and I said I'm sorry" Nikolai said. "Come back to Os Alta with me, Alina". "Why? So you can show me off like some prize?" she retorted.

"I know you don't trust me. You have no reason to. But I'll abide by what I promised on the ship. Listen to what I have to offer. If you're not interested, Sturmhonds ships will take you anywhere, but I think you'll stay. I can give you the chance no one else can".

"This ought to be good" whispered Mal to you. "I can give you thr chance to save Ravka. To bring your people hope" said Nikolai, "oh, is that all" she said sourly. "And how am I supposed to do that?".

"By helping me unite the first and second army. By becoming my queen". "Excuse me?" you said, "your queen?". Mal shoved the table aside and slammed Nikolai into the tent post.

"Easy, now, can't get blood on the uniform. Let me explain" said Nikolai. "Try explaining with my fist in your mouth" sneered Mal.

Nikolai twisted, and in an instant he slipped from Mal's grasp. He reached out and quickly slipped out one of your knives. "Stay back Oretsev. I'm keeping my temper for their sake. But I'd like to gut you like a carp". "Nikolai. Mal" you said.

"Thank you for the concern, my love. But I can take him" grinned Nikolai. "Try it" Mal snarled. "Enough!". Alina threw out a bright shard of light that blinded the two of them. You had already covered your face with your scarf so the light wouldn't hit you.

Mal and Nikolai both put up their hands against the glare. "Sturmhond, sheathe that weapon, or you'll be the one who gets gutted. Mal, stand down". Nikolai lowered the knife and placed it into his pocket. Alina let the light fdae right after he did so.

Mal dropped his hands but his fists were still clenched. "I'm not proposing a love match, you heartsick oaf, just a political alliance.

If you'd stop and think for a minute, you'd see it makes good sense for the country". "You mean it makes good sense for you" laughed Mal as he leaned against you.

"You have pretty hair" he whispered, playing with a lock of it. "You're cute. But stop" you said, swatting his hand away. Nikolai glared at Mal then turned his gaze back to Alina.

"Can't both things be true? I've served in the military. I understand warfare, and I understand weaponry. I know the First Army will follow me. I may be second in line, but I have a blood right to the throne". Mal picked himself up from you and japped a finger into Nikoalis chest. "You don't have a right to her".

"What did you think was going to happen? Did you think you could just carry off a powerful grisha like some peasant girl? Is that how you think this story ends? I'm trying to keep a country from falling apart, not steal your best girl. Besides, why would I steal her if I have him".

"That's enough," said Alina, "you're conflicted. You like her but you think he's cute". "You can stay at the palace" said Nikolai, "perhaps as the captain of her personal guard. It wouldn't be the first time".

"Nikolai, that's enough" you said, but he just raised a finger. "You make me sick" said Mal, "I'm a depraved monster, I know. Just think about what I'm saying" replied Nikolai. "I don't need to think about it" Mal shouted. "And neither does she. It's not going to happen".

"It would only be a marriage for the title. Not for producing heirs" said Nikolai. Mal lunged forward and Nikolai reached for the knife but Alina stepped between them. "Stop!" she shouted. "Stop. and stop talking as if I'm not here".

You pulled Mal back and held him next you while Nikolai fixed a fallen chair and reseated himself. He poured himself more kvas and downed the glass. "Your highness-". "Nikolai" he corrected. "But I've also been known to answer to 'sweetheart' or 'handsome'.

Sadly y/n doesn't call me any of that" he chuckled. "You need to stop that Nikolai" said Alina. "Or I'll knock out the princely teeth of yours.

"I'm not going to marry you" said Alina. Mal released a breath and released his grip on your arm. It bothered Alina that Mal might think that she was going to accept Nikolais offer.

But he definitely wasn't going to like what she had to say. "But I will go to Os Alta with you". "Alina-" "Mal, we always said we'd find a way to come back to Ravka, that we'd find a way to help.

If we don't do something, there might not be a Ravka at all". "I will return to Os Alta with you and I'll consider helping you get the throne. But I want the second army".

Mal and Nikoai stared at her as if she was mad. The whole tent went silent. Alina was done being taken from place to place where she would be used for her power. Nikolai let out a nervous laugh. "The people love you, Alina, but I was thinking of a more symbolic title".

"I'm not a symbol" she snapped, "and I'm tired of being a pawn. "Alina, leader of the second army" you said, bowing to her. She let out a small laugh.

You walked out of the tent after hearing enough about their plans. You waited outside of the entrance and after a few minutes Nikolai came out. "Where are you off to?" you asked, "just some arrangements I need to make" he replied.

"You coming with me?" he asked. "I'll let you do that on your own, but I'll find you later. Nikolai gave you a kiss goodbye and walked through the camp.

Mal came out shortly after, looking quite pissed and sad. "You okay?" you asked, "I don't really even know" he replied. "Come on, I know something that should help".