Severed Ties

Midge felt her body warm up as she drank her coffee.

"You didn't need to pay for it," Modge mumbled.

The red haired girl chuckled, "I'm the one that initiated this, so it's only right if I pay."

The café was semi quiet, other Midge and the red haired girl, there were a few students scattered around, indie rock music playing softly from the speakers.

"My name is Lorelei, but the way."

Midge nodded, "Pretty name."

Lorelei smiled, "Thanks, but call me Lola, most of my friends do."

"Oh, ok...Lola."

Lola chuckled again, it was a happy sound, bubbly. Lola was quite pretty as well. Her hair was curly, and her skin was speckled with freckles. She was cute.

"So, you gonna tell me your name, or do I have to keep calling you 'cute stranger?'"

Midge raised her brows, was she flirting? She was definitely flirting. So she was into girls, or at least found them attractive.

"I mean, I am a cute stranger, so that name makes sense," flirting back, keeping the conversation light, Midge could do that.

Lola seemed to like that, taking a sip from her coffee.

"But seriously, my name is Midge."

"Well Midge, it's nice to meet you."

Midge took a bite from her donut, "It's nice to meet you as well, Lola."

The two girls ate in silence, the ambiance of the café filling the silence between them.

Midge checked her phone, "Hey, it's kinda late, I need to head home."

Lola frowned, "Are you gonna be okay?"

Midge nodded, "Yeah. Don't worry about it too much."

"Would it be possible for me to get your number? So we can hang out more."

Midge thought for a moment, before handing Lola her phone.

"Thanks. Now we are officially friends."

Midge smiled awkwardly as she took her phone back. She left the café feeling odd, she felt free, in a weird way. It felt good talking to someone else, getting a new perspective.

The house was quiet as midge entered, the faint sounds of the t.v filled the living room.

Daryl and Maddie had fallen asleep on the couch, both of their chests rising and falling in unison. Midge grabbed a blanket and draped it over her mother, smiling as she did so.

Her mother was beautiful, basically an older version of Midge. Despite her age, her features were soft, though Midge had noticed a few more wrinkles on her face, possibly from stress. She looked over to Daryl, who's pig-like face scrunched as he snored. Looking at them next to each other made Midge think of beauty and the beast.

She sighed, and placed a soft kiss on her mother's forehead, before going up to her room. She changed into her pajamas, staring at her phone screen.

Quinn's name glowed, casting light in the dimly lit room. Midge wanted to call her. She wanted Quinn to be here with her, to close the gap between them, to take in the smell of her perfume as she gingerly kissed her neck.

But she couldn't say that, there was too much to talk about, between the Gold Club, and the five years of Quinn's absence.

She clicked the contact, not letting herself think too hard abt it.

"Hello?"

Midge took a deep breath, "Hey. I think we need to talk."

-•-•-•-

(A/N)

I know I said this chapter would be longer, but I like being able to sort of work in scenes, if that makes sense?

I felt like this was a good stopping point for the chapter, so I hope y'all don't mind.

Have a good day/afternoon/night.

- SleepyPr1nce