Chapter 4

VERONICA

Gideon started giving us our roles once he oriented us what our assignment was. Olivia gave a face of shock and glee at the party we were to attend, then frowned at Gideon's order to not talk or approach the gods.

No one argued that order since everyone apparently also did not like the gods. We were taught to assume the worst among mortals and immortals alike, and gods are not an exception to that.

Gideon ran through us the plan, asking for comments and suggestions all throughout. I was of course given the task to kill the wraith since it wasn't just a knife to the throat task. No, it needed skill and a special set of weapons, the latter of which I had just laying around in my arsenal back home.

Tarrin seemed to have left out the other task Gideon gave because I was not needed. Matt, Olivia, and Gideon would be breaching one of the chambers underneath the castle to free a fugitive Tarrin and Gideon suspect was ensconced there. Agatha, one of Tarrin's many agents, was captured before by Ealdread after she tried stealing a goblet from his home many years ago. The goblet was believed to carry great power and can enhance powers if done correctly. Clearly, Agatha was not able to test that theory.

Warren and Taylor on the other hand, would be accompanying me to look for the wraith. We had no specific description as to what it looked like because wraiths can easily possess other corporeal bodies, masquerading around as someone else. The only element separating them from actual shape-shifters was that the body they were to possess needs to grant them permission to actually become it. So, if we see someone talking to thin air then later acting as if a heavenly body entered him, there's our wraith.

"Everyone understand their roles?" Warren asks.

Everyone nodded and voiced their agreement.

"Alright. Good luck, everyone." Gideon says with a wary smile on his face, then disappears from the room.

Soon, we'll be entering a castle filled with gods. Gods I've only seen and read in books. I didn't need it before, but I'll get all the luck I need now for me to get through this.

《♤》

"What are you wearing?"

"A dress!" Olivia replied.

"No, that's something Victorian wives would wear on a trip to the market." Taylor countered.

Olivia was wearing a red dress with a petticoat underneath. She did look like she jumped right out of the Victorian era, but the look suited her.

"Well, we're entering a castle. Might as well look the part. Plus, this was the only suitable dress I had! We had a different sense of fashion back home at Salem. You would know, Veronica!"

"It's true, they liked wearing that sort of stuff." I said to Taylor who looked at me with highly raised brows.

"Alright, fine. As long as you don't catch too much attention, you can wear the dress. Just make sure it won't hinder you from doing what you need to do." Taylor said to Olivia, as if she were an older sister.

Olivia winked at both of us, then walked in the portal leading to the other world where the castle was. Gideon and Matt were already on the other side, making sure no one would be able to spot them as they sneak into the castle.