Chapter 74

VERONICA

I was immediately pulled into a tight hug when Lore's shadows scattered to reveal Tarrin's office.

"Oh, thank the gods, you're alright." Taylor murmured as she tightened her pull. I nervously chuckled when I felt the sudden lack of oxygen escaping my body.

Thankfully, Matt was there to pull her away. I gave him my thanks with a nod, which he returned with a smile before placing his arm around Taylor's shoulder and leading her back to the corner of the room.

"Good to have you back, Veronica." Tarrin greeted as he extended his hand to me. I took it warily and shook it once. He sighed before pulling me in and hugged me, and my eyes grew wider than ever.

"We've missed you, kid. Building's getting a little too quiet without you around." He whispered into my ear.

I smiled as I pulled back from him, "Without me, no one's here to defy and go against your orders. I'll keep in mind to do it more in the next ones, Tarrin."

"What? You're staying with us after this?" He asked with vehemently raised eyebrows.

"Why wouldn't I?" I countered.

Tarrin's eyes shifted to my right and I followed his line of sight where Lore was deep in conversation with Warren and Gideon. I scoffed and turned back to him, "He doesn't change anything."

"I know, I know." He raised his hands in defense. "But you're a goddess now, apparently, and I thought you would have much more important things to do."

"I love my job here. Why would I leave? Besides, I'm your greatest asset, Tarrin. I'm irreplaceable."

When Tarrin didn't reply, I frowned and took the seat next to Olivia. She rested her head on my shoulder and sighed, "Look at us. All finally back together." She murmured.

Taylor sat next to me and nodded, "A Ladies' Night is well overdue. We must have one when we save Veronica and shit."

I scoffed and redirected my gaze to Gideon who murmured something to Tarrin before calling the attention of everyone in the room. "Alright, well first of all, I want to welcome Veronica back. Only the gods and Tarrin know how hard we tried getting you back."

"Worth it?" I asked with raised eyebrows. Gideon smiled, something I rarely see him ever do. "Worth it." He replied.

"Now, I do believe that we should make sure that whatever happened to us in the Fifth Realm never happens again." He continued. "Demeter and Nixon," Taylor rolled her eyes next to me at the mention of his name, "are still adamant on taking Veronica back, which we all know is something we do not want happening. For both her sake and the entirety of the Twelve Realms.

"Now, based on Olivia's reports, she told me that you released the two accomplices of Demeter—Brie and Azura. Is this correct, Veronica?"

"I didn't release them." I answered flatly. "To Demeter, they are traitors. They were held as prisoners when Nixon found them trying to hide the potential casualties of the war. I set them free, told them to carry out their duties, and ordered them to protect the people with their lives. They know the consequences if they are to ever step out of line."