Chapter 12

It took her a moment to comprehend what was happening. She'd never felt anything like this before, and therefore wasn't prepared for the heath that coursed through her body the second his lips touched hers. The kiss started soft, tentative almost. Like he wasn't sure she'd want it. But the second she'd responded just as eagerly, things had changed. He'd growled deeply, in a way that made her toes curl and her head dizzy. And then, his large hands had been on her, grasping her waist, lifting her and pulling her closer to his own body. Hers were in his hair, pulling on the dark strands, making him release a low moan that should've been illegal. She could feel the cold metal of the truck against her back, but even that couldn't cool her down. All she could feel was him. Her entire world started and ended with Paul Lahote. He'd captured all of her senses. She could smell his delicious scent, the one she'd never get enough of, just like she could taste him. He reminded her of caramel, something decadent that could easily become an addiction. She whimpered as he bit her lip, making her see stars. She'd never felt more alive. And she wanted more. For the first time in her life, Lena Blanchard understood what passion truly meant.

Paul was just as affected, if not more. At this point, he relied mostly on instincts, and everything inside of him was telling him to never let this girl go. The wildest part of him wanted to take her somewhere hidden where he could act out on the darkest fantasies that had been playing on repeat in his mind ever since he met her. He wanted to mark her soft skin, to leave trails of bruises that would tell the whole world that she belonged to him and only him. He'd kissed girls before, done much more than that with them. But he'd never felt anything like what he was currently experiencing. Her perfect, sinful body was almost molded to his in a way that could only prove that they were meant to be. And her lips, fuck, they were everything he imagined and more. Almost too soft to be real. The world could have ended right now and he wouldn't have cared. This was paradise and he never wanted it to stop.

But unfortunately, a wolf howl shook him enough to remind him of his responsibilities to the pack. He recognized it as Sam's and also understood what it meant : a vampire had been spotted. Before meeting Lena, his first priority would've been to shift and attack, but now nothing mattered to him more than making sure she was safe. And she would never truly be safe as long as that read-headed leech kept on crossing their borders. Which is why he slowly lowered her back towards the ground, groaning at the loss of contact between them. She gazed up at him, looking a bit dizzy. She looked ravaged, lips a dark red from the way he'd bit them, cheeks pink, and a primal part of him roared in pride knowing he was the one who made her look that way. Fuck, he'd have given anything to be able to stay there with her and kiss her for a few more hours.

"I gotta go, baby."

She pouted, unable to hide her disappointment at the thought of seeing him leave. Still, she didn't want to appear too clingy, especially since she didn't know if the kiss meant as much to him as it did to her.

"Okay..."

He grinned at her adorable expression, tenderly brushing a strand of her dark brown hair behind her ear.

"Can you do me a favor?"

She nodded eagerly. After that kiss, there's nothing he could've asked her that she would've refused. Hell, he'd probably fried enough of her braincells that she didn't have the mental capacity to argue.

"Anything."

Paul would never admit to anyone that his blood rushed straight to his nether regions at that gasped promise. But could he really be blamed? Here she was, looking all sweet and innocent and yet so incredibly desirable, telling him that he could ask anything of her... Shit, now wasn't the time to think about this stuff. They still had a vampire to catch.