Chapter 4

It's not canonical to the film (obviously) but I watched it while writing this so you can't say I didn't at least try to get the details right.

It was halfway through first lesson when they heard the Rachin yelling for assembly. They ran down the stairs and back into the yard, it was then that he saw the new supervisor.

He was bald and plump looking wearing a grey coat and was trying to look like he knew what was happening. Pierre watched him fidget while Rachin was talking, he was clearly trying to look stern but was failing.

Rachin said that the caretaker, Maxence, had been hurt by a prank pulled by a student and that someone would be punished for it. He counted to 3 but unsurprisingly no one came forward so he called the supervisor over.

"Baldy!" Someone yelled and he had to stifle a laugh so as to not get punished.

Rachin told 'Mathieu' (apparently) to pick a name at random from the student roll and the boy would be punished in place of whoever really did it unless he came forward.

Mathieu looks a little regretful at having to punish an innocent boy but spoke anyway.

"Boniface?" He guessed.

Tough break. Boniface wasn't really a trouble maker, they all knew he was innocent.

Chabert grabbed him from the crowd of boys and ushured him into the building. Boniface yelled at him angry at being unjustly punished. The other boys looked sympathetic, it could have been any of them.

He heard Rachin announcing to the boys that there would be no free time or family visits until the culprit was found.

He knew who'd actually pulled the prank of course, it was Le Querrec. He had heard about his ongoing feud with Maxence. But Pierre wasn't a snitch and he didn't much care either way. He did nothing with his free time anyway and he hated seeing his mother sometimes when he felt he was disappointing her for doing something like breathing wrong. She never said this to him she was kind and loving and he knew she cared about him, but he hated himself when he was around her, he felt he was dragging her down and that dragged him down into some dark thoughts.