12- Lean on Me

I was completely ready to bring the family lunch- a run to Subway and back

I was completely ready to bring the family lunch- a run to Subway and back. My car had other plans.

It was a little after noon, and the temperature only continued to rise. Luckily I'm flat enough to ditch the bra- I knew I would sweat straight through it- and wore the thinnest sundress I had and pulled my thick hair up high. I could physically see the air shimmering just above the horizon. I was sitting on the edge of the deck just waiting for the tall, yellowed grass in the fields to catch fire.

Jay arrived in an old t-shirt, cowboy hat, and overalls, carrying nothing but her phone. I'd told her we likely had everything she'd need here. If not, the car was a lost cause.

She stepped onto the deck. When she slipped her sunglasses off and tossed them on a nearby lawn chair, I finally got a good look at her. Something about her demeanor seemed off. Her eyes fought to stay open. Grayish purple circles beneath her bloodshot eyes looked like they were weighing her whole face down. She looked irate, ready to tackle any amount of work, and not even here all at the same time.

She either ignored or did not register my dumbstruck stare as she came up beside me without so much as a 'hello.'

"You look high and also dead. Are you okay?" I asked bluntly.

"I'm fine. Just tired." She answered simply.

"You don't look fine. You look like shit."

"Thanks." She started to go in. "Car's in the garage?" She stuck her thumb in that direction.

"No. Not yet. Sit down." I patted the space beside me.

"Fianna," she sighed, "I just wanna get this done. You said the warning light came on...?"

"Don't change the subject. Sit down."

Jay let out a very long sigh. Reluctantly, she did.

"What were you doing before you came here?" I asked firmly like a disapproving mother.

She rubbed dripping beads of sweat off her glistening forehead with the back of her hand, ignoring my intense stare. "My usual chores," She answered with another exhausted sigh.

"That can't be it."

"I told you I was... guarding the chickens." She leaned forward, resting her elbows on her thighs.

"Wait, you were up all night? Just sitting outside?" I asked with an incredulous gaze.

"Uhh... last night?" She took her time to think. "Yeah. I was."

I smacked her arm. "Bitch!"

She held her hands up in defense, finally making eye contact. "I had to! But I upgraded the fence today so it should be fine. I won't have to do that again."

"Good! Dumb bitch, I can't believe you pulled an all nighter. Outside."

She shrugged her shoulders slightly. "I've done it before."