goodnight, josette

"Hope!" Said Lizzie, snapping the girl out of her trance. "It's your turn to drive. I'm tired." Hope rolled her eyes in annoyance, still adjusting to everything she felt, heard, and saw being ten times more intense.

The girls had been driving for hours, unluckily hitting bad traffic for most of the way, but as the sun set, the roads began to clear. Normally Hope would've come up with some sort of excuse for not driving, but she could see the exhaustion in Josie's face and she wouldn't mind driving all night if it meant getting Josie home and getting her comfortable. Josie wanted to sleep in her bed, to take a shower and wash the dried tears and sweat away, but she wouldn't have admitted it out of fear of pressuring the tribrid to drive at night. She knew Hope didn't like driving, especially at night, but now that she's activated her vampire side she realized it probably wouldn't be as hard.

"We can stop at a motel. You don't have to drive all night." Said Josie, shooting Hope an exhausted smile.

"No, Jo. It's okay, I don't mind. I'd rather get home by morning than by tomorrow afternoon."

Josie opened her mouth to insist on stopping at a motel, but Lizzie spoke up first. "Thanks Hope! You know, I think I like you better as a full tribrid, you're nicer." She said, giving Hope a genuine but joking smile.

"Yea, whatever Lizzie. Let's just switch spots."

Hope had been driving them for about two hours, and the twins were both sleeping. She noticed Josie drooling a small amount, and fought the urge to reach out and wipe it away. It was hard to focus on the road in front of her with the siphon witch so close to her. She could hear every breath, every beat of her heart, every small whimper she let out as she dreamt. Hope sucked in a deep breath, trying to focus her hearing on the snoring coming from the seat behind her. Trying to focus her eyes on the road ahead of her, which proved to be the most difficult, especially since Josie shifted in her sleep every five minutes.

Lizzie had barely moved, she had always been a deep sleeper. Hope glanced at the gps, reassuring herself she was going in the right direction despite the lack of cars and abundance of trees. Her thoughts had begun to drift again, to the moment of when she first woke up. To the warmth and electricity radiating from Josie's hand on her cheek, the way the sleeping Josie looked like she hadn't had a single calm thought in days but still managed to look ethereal. Hope wasn't religious, but if she was, she was sure Josie would be the spitting image of an angel, or Jesus for that matter.

Her attention was brought back to the brunette beside her as she heard her gasp lightly, Hope's ears adjusting to the sound of her heartbeat which sounded like that of a hummingbird. She must've been having a nightmare, and without thinking, Hope took hold of her hand in an attempt to comfort the sleeping girl.

This action woke Josie, but Josie showed no sign of consciousness. Afraid that if Hope knew she was awake she'd release her hand. Instead, Josie relaxed her hand, allowing it to go limp in the tribrid's. Hope could hear her own heartbeat now, fearful that it was loud enough to wake the sleeping beauty. In an attempt to comfort herself, she started humming a song.

Josie immediately recognized the song as her own, the song she sung to the sleeping tribrid just yesterday. Her heart leaped, and the butterflies returned. Hope noticed the change in the girl's heartbeat, worried that she was having another nightmare, the tribrid rubbed her thumb on the hand that was intertwined with her own, trying to comfort the sleeping girl. She was still humming the tune, unsure as to where she'd heard it before. Josie relaxed at the tribrid's gentle hums and caress, slowly sinking back into her slumber.