02| A New Beginning

It hurts, but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life, starts with a goodbye. Bidding adieu to your family is painful but more painful than that is knowledge that you may never be the same person that you were till now. Saying farewell to your own self knowingly for a new chapter of your life is excruciating just like Nandini as weeped in her mother's embrace while bidding adieu to her family members.

As Nandini straightened up, her Chachi wiped the tears lining her eyes, her own eyes filled with unshed tears, overwhelmed with the emotions surrounding them. As Nandini hugged her, Pinky pressed a kiss on the side of her head, whispering to her to take care of herself. Though she may not be the best aunt Nandini could ask for, they still had their share of moments and despite her irritation towards the fatherless girl, Pinky never wished any harm to her.

Gradually, parting away, her Bua held the tray of rice mixed with coins and Nandini cupped them in her hands while her mother held her dupatta behind Nandini to collect them. With her eyes lined with unshed tears, without turning back, Nandini threw them behind her while walking towards the exit as her attempt to repay her dues to everyone for raising her while wishing for wealth and prosperity to spread in every corner of her maternal home despite the departure of a form of Goddess Laxmi, a daughter, from their home.

After throwing five handfuls of rice, she was escorted towards the car, decorated with roses, by his mother and sister while her elder cousin brother sat in the front seat as per the tradition that required him to leave her till her husband's home. Everyone blessed the couple before she was ushered in, Manik following her behind. As the engine of the car whirred, her cousins pushed the vehicle, symbolising their help to start her new life before the car started to drive off.

For every new beginning, their is often an end of a beginning and as Nandini stared at the mirror, watching her family fade away slowly, she was set free as Nandini and bounded for a new phase of her life as Nandini Manik Malhotra.

*****

The tinkling of the bangles and anklets resonated in the silence of the wee morning hours as Nandini was helped by her cousin to climb out of the car. Carefully picking up the edges of her lehenga to avoid it from getting dirty, Nandini looked up at the apartment complex while following Manik close behind.

The building looked furnished but had the old style of balconies protruding out of every house. Lights of a few houses were turned on as the mothers prepared breakfast for their families, while other flats were still camouflaged in darkness, everyone sleeping peacefully, getting ready to face the challenges of the world in a few hours.

A guard was dozing off at the entrance as Manik led her brother and her towards the elevator. Silence engulfed around in the closed space while the number quickly hiked up to fifteen on the screen before the gates parted away. The moment she stepped out, loud laughter and chatting could be heard and Nandini confronted her mother in law, Neyonika, who was standing at the entrance of an apartment, decorated with flowers and lights, with a thalli in her hands, accompanied by some of their relatives.

A beautiful smile adorned her face as she saw her son coming along with her daughter in law towards her. Nandini stared at the floor conscious about the eyes staring at her while Neyonika circled the plate around them. After offering Nandini and Manik a piece of sweet, the couple took her blessing before she moved aside.

"Nandini beta, ab apne daye pau se is kalash ko girana aur fir ye doodh alte ki thaal main step kar ke ghar main enter karna," Neyonika instructed and Nandini nodded. After tilting the kalash laden with rice gently with her right foot before she could step into the dish filled with doodh alta, she smiled gratefully at her sister in law as she helped her with her attire while moving in.